18.2 KB · Views: 318
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 321
Upvote 0

Joseph Gilbert

Dec 10, 2012
Eagledigs said:
Found these pieces about 5 feet apart...What is the U.S. piece? Off a saddle? It is about the size of a silver dollar..Also, any guess as to what type of musket the other piece came off of? Found in a probable camp..Thanks

The hammer to me looks to be off of a old "Brown Bess" musket but its hard to tell because it all depends on weather the hole to secure it is square or round?

Joseph Gilbert

Dec 10, 2012
Eagledigs said:
Found these pieces about 5 feet apart...What is the U.S. piece? Off a saddle? It is about the size of a silver dollar..Also, any guess as to what type of musket the other piece came off of? Found in a probable camp..Thanks

After a little bit more studying of your hammer it looks like a model 1861 .58 cal Springfield Armory hammer

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you give something for size reference on the possible US rosette?

OP
OP
E

Eagledigs

Feb 17, 2012
Hattiesburg, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The hammer to me looks to be off of a old "Brown Bess" musket but its hard to tell because it all depends on weather the hole to secure it is square or round?

Joseph, the hole is square..I will post another pic of it since I have cleaned it up a bit..Thanbks!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to be period with the musket. This is World War I 6th calvary script with a silver dollar for comparison so it is ruled out. Yours seems to be Union. Hope this helps..

100_4087.JPG

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to have to answer your question by saying your hollowback horse-harness rosette is from the Indian Wars to Spanish-American War era (not Civil War era). Its rim was crimped over an iron back, which is missing.

As Joseph indicated, we need to see photos of the rifle/musket hammer in cleaned-up condition to be able to give you a specific ID for it with certainty. Also, an accurate measurement of its length would be helpful.

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not an 1861 Springfield hammer. The model 1861 Springfield had a "C" shaped hammer. I think it's an Enfield hammer, they are very common.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread