diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those who don't know me, I go to a lot of estate sales and such on the weekends. Sometimes I'll buy something just because I (and the person selling it) don't know what it is. This is one such onject. I paid a quarter for it. It's just over 12" long and 2.5" in diameter at ther large end that is pictured. The holed are straight and go all the way through it. There is a hole that goes through the entirety of the piece also. Inserted in the large end is a brass sleeve that is about 1" long. Any ideas? Here are the pics-

DSC04443.jpg DSC04444.jpg DSC04445.jpg

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking maybe a spindle - from a yarn factory ???

Upvote 0

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yes, it is a spool for yarn or thread.

It was very fashionable to buy these at antique stores, and use them in your home as a candle holder.

I still think they are cool, and have three of them, all with candles in them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. Now that you mention it, there were a lot of quilting and sewing type notions at that house. Just surprised the woman selling the stuff didn't know what it was. She wasn't a spring chicken, lol.

Upvote 0

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wasn't there a movie that featured a short clip of a young child whose job it was to change out these bobbins and spools when they broke? I remember seeing it, but cannot place the movie.

As you know, back before there were child labor laws, manufacturers would hire young children to change out these spools. Children could get their hands into the tight spaces of the machines more easily than adults...and the kids could be hired cheap. Definitely a sad time in history.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread