ID numbers a little high in "deep" mode?

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using the "deep" mode today and noticed the numbers were a little higher than they used to be, checked again in "Basic" and the same happened, had to re-learn numbers, pennies coming in at 94-95, zinc pennies anywhere from 91-98, quarters as high as 99 couple times, nickels at 65-67, dimes 95-97. I was passing up all those targets for awhile and then found out it was reading high so I started digging everything. I had it "normalized". Anyone else experience this? Could it have been the soil? I was in two different parks today that are miles apart and it still read high. It used to be really consistent with the ID numbers and now seems all over the place.

Last edited:

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I installed V4 but haven't tested it yet. (Frozen ground) What do those signals read in an air test?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using the "deep" mode today and noticed the numbers were a little higher than they used to be, checked again in "Basic" and the same happened, had to re-learn numbers, pennies coming in at 94-95, zinc pennies anywhere from 91-98, quarters as high as 99 couple times, nickels at 65-67, dimes 95-97. I was passing up all those targets for awhile and then found out it was reading high so I started digging everything. I had it "normalized". Anyone else experience this? Could it have been the soil? I was in two different parks today that are miles apart and it still read high. It used to be really consistent with the ID numbers and now seems all over the place.

Not entirely clear what you mean by "checked again in "Basic" and the same happened", are you saying basic and deep were reading the same or was basic reading lower than deep with ID Normal on? ID Normal normalizes everything to 18 khz reading which compresses stuff up into the high numbers. That is why I refuse to use it. Were you using the default frequency settings for each of those modes (i.e., 12k for basic and 8k for deep)? Should not matter with ID Normal on but thought I would ask. Really recommend not using it especially because of the compression. But if you can clarify the behaviour maybe I can help explain what's going on. I also get the impression that overall the TID values seem a little on the high side with V 4 vs. V 3.2 even with ID Norm off, but it could be my imagination. Have only been digging pennies and dimes (and one dropped modern bullet - someone got clumsy loading their gun I guess) in the two brief jaunts I've had with the new software.

Things are lot more spread out with the lower freqs if you don't use it plus you can glean some good info by switching frequencies while keeping all the other parameters the same (I do this by putting the same custom program side by side and then simply having one at one frequency and the other at a different frequency - that way I can change frequencies just by hitting +/- without going into a submenu. I am also using this method to switch between the horseshoe display and the xy display on the same program. Also, I do not get hung up trying to memorize the TID numbers since I am really relying on the target tone ID esp in full tones and I'll glance down at the display as a sort of a backup to decide to dig. Since I am not using 18khz, when coins shooting, I will basically dig anything that is in the high 80's to 90's unless the XY or tone tells me its a bottlecap and I will explore readings in the 50's to check for gold jewelry or nickels but know that I am probably going to dig a pull tab unless it sounds really squirrely, indicating a bent tab or beaver tail.

btw - on a separate note, I confirmed the new V 4 behavior you saw on the headphones going into standby then switching on and reacquiring the coil after about 30 seconds where it used to be almost instantaneous on V 3.2. Only thing I can think is that they are giving the use the chance to get his headphones off and turn off the headset before it starts blaring again if he has already turned off the remote or initialization just simply takes longer now when switching controllers (remote to headset). Who knows.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, both modes seem to be higher than they used to be with 3.2, I would use deep, then double check with basic mode, I thought it might have something to do with the mode I was using, normalize was on so they did show the same, although at times it seemed erratic on both, sometimes they seemed to settle in to the lower numbers I used to get with 3.2. I never used to check anything that came it at 98-99, I even had some pull tabs in the 98-99 range where they used to come in the 80s. Numbers and the xy screen are just more ways to see if I should dig or not, listen to tones first, then xy, then numbers. I haven't air tested them yet. Is that how they got the v4 to give better ID depth readings by jacking up the shallow reading which would make the deeper readings normal? :tongue3: Would having reactivity turned down make it read higher longer? I was running it from 1-2 most of the time. I dunno, I guess more experimenting.

I don't mind the delay with the headphones, I thought, hey cool, at first, the whole system shuts off when you shut off the controller, but then I heard them beeping away on my car seat after they re-paired. No big, I just have to remember to shut them off, whereas before I heard them keep beeping and knew I had to turn them off, if that makes sense. I'm thinking I like 3.2 better except for not having to dig through the menu to turn on the xy screen.

Last edited:

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Key point here from V "with ID Normal on? ID Normal normalizes everything to 18 khz reading which compresses stuff up into the high numbers"

Turn off ID Norm and your numbers should be as normal for you......

Jim

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
V is right once again, turn off "ID Normalization" and you'll have your real VDI reading back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that normalization gives the high numbers but it's higher than it used to be, never felt much like learning four different groups of numbers with different frequencies, I like to try and keep it simple.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I use 18k almost every time I use the Deus so that's the scale I'm most familiar with. The U.S. nickel will hit 64 on my unit. Sometimes with a 63 and 65 bounce but that's around where I expect them, 64.

Copper cents at 97 and clad quarters hitting at 99 is not good and somthing is jacked up if that's the case. I would like to hope it's the ground balance. Perhaps Deus is more sensitive to GB now than it is in V3.2. With the specific changes they made, and not having used V4.2 that's what I'm expecting.

Make sure you look for a clean spot to GB and check again. (I know you're not a noob but V3i and other European and Russian units too get a bad rep for the exact same thing - to difficult to GB! :sadsmiley:)

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive always used id norm and 11or 18khz. Even silver quarters should only hit at 96-97max. Anything over 7-8" will have higher skewed VDI but rarely 99. Your experience sounds off to me.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I normally use ID norm "on" as well - it seemed like a no-brainer to me when I first started learning the Deus to learn one set of signals versus 4. I took the V4 out yesterday for the first time and experienced the same frustrations. The numbers were not only higher, but jumping between 63-66 for a nickel, 96-99 for a quarter, etc. Looks like i'll have to either relearn the signals again or revert back to 3.2. I will say, the machine operated a lot quieter with ground noise compared to 3.2.

I think it comes down to expectations. If you were expecting for minor tweaks to the 3.2 with a minor learning curve, I think people will be frustrated initially with v4. If you are willing to have a little patience and relearn how the machine responds to targets (in my case,coins), I think in the long run you will be happy with v4. Not sure which way im going yet - I have cabin fever and am ready to dig some "productive" holes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread