ID this artifact

mstowe531

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2024
Help ID the item on the left. Found last night amongst whole points, broken points and flakes. It is intentionally shaped. In the photo shown the center is raised, the sides have been knapped to form a circle. The reverse is flat, with a rounded rim. Randolph Co. WV
444925326_7861413783890103_1668111491712927508_n.jpg

Upvote 1

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do see the 4 places it appears to be flaked radially (either naturally or by man).
Could have been used to serve some purpose. Someone’s hand more than likely handled that stone at some point prior to you picking it up. We will never know.
I see no signs of work by man, only random natural flaking by nature.

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SE Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe they were trying to make something and it didn't work out. I personally can't say for sure because I'm not familiar with that material. I don't blame you for picking it up and asking about it. Put it in the "Maybe Something " Tupperware container or add it to the rock garden if you have one 👍

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to say there are all complete artifacts in the photo but the majority likely have been touched by the hand of ancient man for a utilitarian purpose. I’d have to assume the OP can recognize a flaked edge the same as most folks with this interest (regardless of the photo quality). The shadows hint.

The stone could very well be an expedient chopper of some sort. Obviously not a named flaked projectile or a grooved axe.

In my mind context matters A LOT and that is something that does not come across at all in internet posts and pictures.

But hey you are welcome to your opinion. We all have them.

Just saying it could be….rather than dismiss all credibility a guy might have.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a piece of hard stone where context has everything to do with why I picked it up.

Front living room..completely out of place for the geology. It was touched up on the edges for a purpose..a utilitarian piece. Easily could be a random piece of slate found in a rock pile - but not. It had a purpose. What was the purpose and can you find a similar artifact in a published paper? This is the stuff left behind after the 1960’s and 70’s folks gathered up the obvious projectile points, blades, scrapers, drills, mortars/pedestals, mano/metates, axes and celts.
Gotta turn rocks over and take a good look.
IMG_2918.jpeg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread