What's new

Ideas of provenance for Non Florida, Non Personal Finds?

tomclark

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2006
Messages
1,184
Reaction score
1,643
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Some pieces given to me over the years, forgot provenance and really don't collect anything but personal finds from my region...... This has been a yearly post for me, LOL. I wonder if anyone can look at these and say "BINGO!" because they recognize the material and types.

These first pieces were all found on one farm all I can remember is "somewhat" upper SE US and that can be from TN to AK , not the carolinas, nor GA or FL. Maybe Tx.....but I don't think so. These were in a small box with many other broken pieces and some other interesting pieces of limerock. and these odd clayish, fossilish, beadish things
and these what I believe are truly drilled flat pebbles, there were some that were not modified by humans with them....

I thought seeing these other things would help narrow the region down.

Anyone recognize these types or material??







This piece was given to me in NJ when I was a kid. The collector was a professional arch and all I can remember is that he said it was a nice piece....... It doesn't look like any material I've seen, though I have seen some similarly odd patina from Europe.... Have no idea and N. American types really don't fit....like Abosolo.... Any recognition here?? Thanks!



 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see those clay bead looking things so often I ignore them, where I am from they would be remnants from sand shrimp burrow necks...semi fossilized. I have a jar full of them.
 
Tom, the 1st. Pic looks like some material I have from Tennessee.
 
The pieces in the center of the frame, just below the penny, look like Fort Payne chert. I think Fort Payne out crops in Alabama, but found in a couple different states in the south east. I think I guessed Guilford on the last piece last time, I'll go with maybe a Lerma round base this time, I think they usually have a ground base. Material looks like heavily patinated Jasper, maybe mottled Jasper.
 
your large point look a whole bunch like what I have seen out in the PNW...cascade points

Cascade Series
 
TN and AL were the two states I thought the person probably told me.....
Thanks!!

The last larger piece has unusual basal thinning by flaking.
 
That last piece does look oddly African

Blombos_Cave_bifacial_points.webp



ForumRunner_20141210_145319.webp



ForumRunner_20141210_145334.webp
 
...yeah those African pieces have been showing up on EBAY as Columbia River points for several years now....similar styles AND similar stones. I have personally found EVERY one of those same style points that you just displayed!
 
Those are the actual artifacts that came from that cave in South Africa
 
...yep and the style transcends time and place.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom