What's new

Identification plate

tokens70

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
445
Reaction score
92
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Explorer 2
Could someone tell me how old this plate is & why someone would have it???
 

Attachments

  • group 5 299.webp
    group 5 299.webp
    86.6 KB · Views: 355
  • group 5 298.webp
    group 5 298.webp
    61.3 KB · Views: 351
Alpena Pass was founded in 1908 atop a graveyard shortly after the Missouri-North Arkansas Railroad was built through Boone County. The pass and town were named after a black cook who worked for the railroad. In the 1950s the word pass was dropped from the name, thus creating the current name, Alpena. So the plate dates between 1908 and some time in the 50s.
Edit: Good call "72C"
 
Upvote 0
That is some interesting history on Alpena Pass, gives me an idea on the age, but I sure wish I knew what it was for. Thanks for helping ;D
 
Upvote 0
Try looking the name up on census records for that area. Or county records. May turn up some interesting information.
 
Upvote 0
I will, I'll let ya know what I find out. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
How about a long-shot? Can this be part of an old temporary type grave tag. I seem to remember such things that were either temporary or sometime was all someone got. Seems like they were put on by organizations.

T. Edward Wilson died in 1889. Company H, Third Regiment Confederate cavalry. Pensioned in Pulaski County, AR., pension app number 29119. (Middle of the state, while Alpena Pass was on the northern border.) Widow Adele Stuart Wilson applied for benefits in 1927. Alpena Pass was founded on an old graveyard. References say the town was founded in 1908, but I find records of people born at Alpena Pass earlier than that. And a reference to drought at Alpena Pass in 1901. And someone married at Alpena Pass, AR in 1893. And a photograph of a man made at Alpena Pass, AR in 1870. And someone who died there in 1839. So, it's entirely possible Wilson was living there when he died.
 
Upvote 0
Sure would be pretty cool if he was a confederate soldier!!!
 
Upvote 0
lostcauses said:
Looks like an address stamp plate. Used for addressing envelopes.

Good call! :thumbsup:

Probably an old Addressograph machine plate.

addoplates_1.webp
 
Upvote 0
Well it sure does look like one of those plates. Thanks for pics, I would say that is probably exactly what it is :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
PBK should run for president. he can figure out anything in nothing flat.

DANGLANGLEY
 
Upvote 0
Looks that way! Thanks again, chris :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom