Identify object

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
" Thats some cool stuff " at first i thought it was part of a door knob with the catch behind it, until you mentioned the size of it. i couldn't even guess what it is, but by all means raise those items, and bring them home quick before someone else does or before somebody tries to stop you. great pic's. thanks for posting and welcome to the tnet forums.

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Looking for some identification of this drawer pull. This cabinet was my grandfathers and I have had it for 20 years or so. I decided to clean it up some the other day and hit the pull with a sander, I realized it was brass and started cleaning it. I was very surprised at the initials on the pulls and none of my family have a clue where it came from originally.
Any guesses? I think maybe Confederate?

Attachments

• P1020153.JPG
    P1020153.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 671
  • P1020158.JPG
    P1020158.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 676
  • P1020153.JPG
    P1020153.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 679
  • P1020158.JPG
    P1020158.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 680

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Lynn,

It looks like an old railroad logo to me. Although I cannot find it specifically on the net there were hundreds of small and large railroads across the country in the late 1800's.

Where was your grandfather from?

It could be CP&I and stands for COLUMBUS, PIQUA & INDIANA Railroad.

Robert

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Blackdiver, you might have better luck posted the underwater object on the "what is it" forum"? Those guys like a challenge. By the way, is the skinny part with the elongated "eye" made of bronze, or could it be stainless? The elongated eye suggests perhaps a lever was mounted elsewhere that would require a degree of play where it met the shaft of your object. Could this have been a type of bilge pump?

OP
OP
B

Blackdiver

Greenie
May 1, 2009
Thanks for the hint Johnnyi og will do that.

About the "eye" I dont think its bronze, maybe steinless or brass, cant tell for sure. ???

Thank you for the help... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
B

Blackdiver

Greenie
May 1, 2009
Mr.Jody said:
Is it me or does that stuff look small? Like its been zoomed in on with a good camera?

Yes thats right I have zoomed in, just to get better detail picture of this object. You can see a porthole under the object, just to get the feel about how large this thing is.

GoldenOldy said:
Why not just bring it up?

Yes we will do that. But first there has to be a full archaeological survey of the wreck. And that will not happen until next summer or spring.

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
Excuse by dumbness :tongue3:, but what is a porthole and where is it in the pics? :-\
It looks small enough to thread a fishing line through.Is it that small or am i totally lost...

OP
OP
B

Blackdiver

Greenie
May 1, 2009
Mr.Jody said:
Excuse by dumbness :tongue3:, but what is a porthole and where is it in the pics? :-\
It looks small enough to thread a fishing line through.Is it that small or am i totally lost...

If you look closely to pic3 and pic4, right side of the "thing" you can see the handle or the lock of the porthole.

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Since you mentioned that this is located in the area of the boiler room and the approximate date of the wreck, maybe part of a steam admission valve to a double-expansion steam turbine? Just a thought.....

Narked1

Reefdrifter

Jan 4, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Mr. Jody.................A porthole would be a window in a boat......and yes......there is a good chance you are a little lost.....LOL.........But where?

OP
OP
B

Blackdiver

Greenie
May 1, 2009
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Here comes the next quiz.....

How about this??? Wheel of what kind. It is located near the stern.

Attachments

• pict1.JPG
    pict1.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 323
  • pict2.JPG
    pict2.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 299

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread