Identify this specimen please

Henryhokk

Jul 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello would someone please help me identify this specimen? It was found by my friend and is hers. She has been a rock hound from a child. That was 44 years ago. This was found in a volcanic area in California, high up as she could climb towards the spewing area. It is as heavy as Iron yet has no magnetic properties. It is layered heavily as it cooled and has a very shiny appearance when scraped like platinum. It does not feel like rock yet some kind of metal.

It appears it could have been spewed out. Here is what it looks like. I am not as educated as most of you in mineral identification and would appreciate all of your comments even if your not sure. So your all welcome to reply. Here it is.

001.JPG 002.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
No idea what it is, Henryhokk. The white spot on the 2nd photo could be a zeolite, indicating the rock might be basalt, or at least have a basaltic origin.

OP
OP
H

Henryhokk

Jul 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked up zeolite and your guess looks like the most likely suggestion on the crystal look. My friend knows basalt well and assures me it isn't that. What kind of metals spew from a volcano around the Shasta area? Maybe someone knows some kind of test for metals.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It is simply cooled magma(igneous rock) with quartz that formed during the cooling process...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread