IF THIS BENJAMIN COULD TALK!! AWESOME FIND!! VERY LARGE SILVER!!!

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early this year, my brother found this award from: The Franklin Institute of the State of Pennsylvania, 1824 - Obverse: Reward of Skill and Ingenuity Hoopes and Townsend Philadelphia PA For Nuts, Bolts and Washers 1853. This was recovered from his yard in SW Franklin County Ohio.

History of the Franklin Institute of the State of Pennsylvania and the Reward for Skill and Ingenuity.

On February 5, 1824, Samuel Vaughn Merrick and William H. Keating founded The Franklin Institute of the State of Pennsylvania for the Promotion of the Mechanic Arts.

The Franklin Institute Awards Program was launched in 1824 when the Institute began giving awards and premiums for superior products and inventions at the annual American Manufacturer's Exhibition. These exhibitions continued for the next 50 years.

In 1824 Christian Gobrecht prepared dies for the Franklin Institute of the State of Pennsylvania. It is signed GOBRECHT F. below the bust of Franklin.

Christian Gobrecht was the third person to occupy the post of chief engraver at the Philadelphia Mint. He is most famous for his silver dollar design of 1836, featuring the Liberty Seated which would soon become a staple in American numismatic history.

History of the Hoopes and Townsend Company - While his business operations began by 1849 in Wilmington, Delaware, Hoopes & Townsend (his early partner) moved to Philadelphia in July of 1852 to enlarge the manufacturing capacities of nuts, bolts, rivets, wood-screws, washers, chain-links, Etc.

Documentation received from THE FRANKLIN INSTITUTE

The Franklin Institute holds a collection of papers (about four linear feet) from the American Manufacturers’ Exhibitions, from 1824 through 1874. Within the document boxes of the AMEs, we have found the following:
The Report of the Twenty-sixth Exhibition, 1858, states that in the category of Iron and Steel:
“No. 1808 Bolts, Nuts, Washers, Tank Rivets, Chain Links, &c. Hoopes & Townsend, Philadelphia. Worthy of special notice for great skill in manufacturing every good quality of material, in an article so important to machinists and mechanics. A First Class Premium.”
A note from the 1853 American Manufacturers’ Exhibition states:
“118. A large lot of Bolts, Nuts, and Washers by Hoopes and Townsend, Philadelphia. This is a very important article for machinists. The quality of the iron is good, and the work throughout is well executed—we consider them superior to any that has ever been exhibited in Philadelphia. and worthy of a 1st premium.”
The first-class premium means that Hoopes and Townsend received silver medals for each year that they entered their products into the exhibitions. In total, according to our card file, Hoopes and Townsend entered their products into the 1853 (bolts, nuts, & washers), 1858 (bolts, nuts, etc.), and 1874 (bolts, washers, & woodscrews), and received silver medals each time. I hope this gives you a little more information behind the medal that you and your brother found in Ohio!
Warm regards and happy hunting,
Susannah

SUSANNAH J. CARROLL
Curatorial Coordinator

THE FRANKLIN INSTITUTE
222 NORTH 20TH STREET
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19103

Attachments

• P1020289.jpeg
    P1020289.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 282
  • P1020290.jpeg
    P1020290.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 266
  • P1020291.jpeg
    P1020291.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 266
  • P1020298.jpeg
    P1020298.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20130803_195600_839.jpg
    IMG_20130803_195600_839.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Upvote 19

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, that is a sweeeet find! Hard to beat 1-of-a-kind discoveries like that, and struck on dies made by Gobrecht no less! If they used his design the Benjamin halves would be far nicer looking coins. Any idea what the weight/dimensions are? Is it larger than a silver dollar? Nice work on getting the background info from the institute. I'd be curious to know who previously occupied your brother's house and what connections they may have had to the company. As you said; if only it could talk. Thanks for sharing!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find and history!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's on very cool piece of history and a great write up on it, thank you posting it up.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
muddpuppy

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is silver.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the write up and love the coin.Thanks for sharing this with us.HH.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic find and provenance. Congrats bros!

Man, I love detecting.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta be Banner - the rarity is documented ,only one medal in each category given in each year applied for - you've found the very medal
for 1853 -one of only three medals issued to this manufacturer ! Very different find ! BANNER !

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's History!

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I see you're a green member and that might preclude you from banner nominee but that silver is banner material .
Nice find.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great piece of history. Congrats on an amazing find

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, super find.. Rare.. Congrats!! :occasion14: What do you think something like that is worth??

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, super cool find! Had that been your find I would would have no doubt it would have made the Banner. I would love to discover a one of a kind item like that!

OP
OP
muddpuppy

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother spends very little time on the computor. I knew this was rare and it needed researched. I was happy to do so as it was so interesting.
Wow, super cool find! Had that been your find I would would have no doubt it would have made the Banner. I would love to discover a one of a kind item like that!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
super cool find. makes you wonder how it came to be in his yard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread