What's new

If YOU had $1,500 for the PERFECT Beach Machine..

Terry Soloman

Platinum Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 28, 2010
Messages
21,755
Reaction score
35,425
Golden Thread
1
Location
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend of mine called me this morning :coffee2: and said, "I just got a new Minelab E-trac for the beach!" I congratulated him, :thumbsup: and we talked for a while about hunting gold nuggets with our Minelab GPX machines last winter. :hello2: Then, he asked me a question that really opened a can of worms.. "why didn't you get a Minelab for the beach?" :dontknow:

Here is the answer I gave him, in a nutshell.

When I was researching getting into beach and saltwater detecting, I learned that you need BOTH a good VLF machine, and a good PI machine to succeed beyond just goofing around. Why spend $1,500.00 on ONE machine that is great in the dry, and good in the water (made overseas, with a 1-3 year warranty and a month or two to fix), when you can buy a dedicated PI water detector - AND, a top of the line VLF machine for LESS MONEY (made in America, with a LIFETIME warranty and a couple of weeks to fix)? :icon_scratch:

He didn't have an answer for me. How about you? :icon_pirat:
 
Upvote 0
I agree with your thinking Terry. :icon_thumright: I went the same route as you and have not been dissapointed.
 
(made overseas, with a 1-3 year warranty and a month or two to fix), when you can buy a dedicated PI water detector - AND, a top of the line VLF machine for LESS MONEY (made in America, with a LIFETIME warranty and a couple of weeks to fix)? icon_scratch

The machines I own are bought because they do very well. I've yet to factor in warranty length or manufacturing location into my decision. No one has found a way to match the abilities of the BBS and FBS machines. I'd rather have two Explorers or two Excaliburs than one of another that has a lengthy warranty and a one day turn around on repairs.
 
Shambler said:
(made overseas, with a 1-3 year warranty and a month or two to fix), when you can buy a dedicated PI water detector - AND, a top of the line VLF machine for LESS MONEY (made in America, with a LIFETIME warranty and a couple of weeks to fix)? icon_scratch

The machines I own are bought because they do very well. I've yet to factor in warranty length or manufacturing location into my decision. No one has found a way to match the abilities of the BBS and FBS machines. I'd rather have two Explorers or two Excaliburs than one of another that has a lengthy warranty and a one day turn around on repairs.

While I disagree, many, many detectorists feel exactly the same way as you Shambler.

I bought my Minelab GPX machines, because there is no other machine on the planet that can match them in the deserts of Arizona (or anywhere else on earth), at finding gold nuggets deep. That just doesn't hold true on the beach. There are several brands and models that can match a Minelab in a dry beach situation 0"-12", and PI units from a couple of manufactures that will - in my never humble opinion, kick BBS and FBS right in the butt.

I have never let "where it was made" stop me from buying the best, but I buy American when I can. As a businessman in Arizona, that depends on his machines to make guests and students happy, turn-around time on Minelab repairs has traditionaly been awful. So, I do factor that into my purchases, as well as warranty length. When your Company owns and uses 10 to 15 $800- $5,500.00 machines a day - it matters!

I respect your opinion as every bit as valid as mine Shambler, you think exactly like my buddy (who also owns the Excal II, imagine that..) and I don't understand either one of you. However, that will not stop me from drinking beer with either of you! :headbang:
 
A couple of months ago My buddy purchased an excal and I purchased a sand shark, We usually hunt together. Although he has found a gold ring and I have not I would say that I have more than doubled him in the junk jewelry and hoop earrings as well as silver trinkets. I am sure a lot of this is just luck and it is a short time span for a study. But just this morning I was working the water on the gulf and thinking I was glad I had a PI machine simply because I get twice as many targets and when I get ready to dig there is no doubt in my mind it is going to be a great find. My heart picks up a little and my adrenalin starts flowing. When I pull that bobby pin out of the scoop I'm not really dissapointed just feel that much closer to the good stuff and for a moment I was on cloud nine/ Now maybe I will feel differently over time but for now I love my Sand Shark
 
My dad is in total agreement with the premis that you need both a VLF and PI to do beach hunting. Hence he uses both UW Whites machines and has great success. Like the $12,000.00 diamond ring he found at Morningstar beach on St Thomas 3 years ago.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom