If you had to pick, what are your four favorite metal detector frequencies?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would Choose 3, 18.75, 28 Maybe ??, and 48

The 3 KHz was a deep silver go get er on the Xterra 705, and the 18.75 was a good all around frequency on the Xterra 705 and a great nugget frequency, the 48 KHz is a great small nugget frequency the third frequency maybe 28KHz but really have no clue

Eagleman

Jun 8, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD-2, White's TDI-SL, My design of, PI detector, also BFO type detector, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like a multi-frequency VLF detector, I really prefer to use a PI machine.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I like to use a PI also but since the question was about which four frequencies you would choose on a VLF if you could that kinda eliminates a PI all together

if a manufacturer would produce a detector with four different frequencies and you could choose those four different frequencies, which four would you choose for that manufacture to put in that detector

me personally I am not sold on the Multi frequency aspect of detecting these days, other than running stable on a salt water beach which I do not detect because I have no salt water beaches anywhere close to me I have not found much that a SMF detector can do that a SF detector cannot do

So Mine Labs Stupid statement about their Multi Frequency detector would obsolete all SF detectors was pretty laughable, and in fact Mine Lab did not even believe it them selves or they would not have given us the option of using a SF in their SMF detector and also they would have never brought out the
Xterra pro as a SSF (Selectable Single Frequency) detector LOL

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple for me, the Freqs used by Minelab in their multifreq detectors.

OP
OP
Suncoast Kid

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
Yeah, a PI is nice if it could discriminate well against iron, and lightweight like the modern detectors, sort of like this Algo Force E1500 that's coming out.
I'd have to agree with oldkoot, that for the low frequency, 3 kHz would be better than 4, if you're wanting low.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suncoast Kid specified only four Freq's, to choose only one of the those four, if you could only choose one. I said "19", kind of in the middle. Now, having said that, I do prefer a Multi-Freq. detector, handles salt water beach WAY better than a single freq., it's just the nature of the beast, and there could be times that you might choose a single Freq., such as 2,4,10,15,20 or 40 for something specific, also I believe a Multi handles a high mineral content better than a single might. I used single Freq' detectors for years, that's what we had, until I bought a Minelab Safari, a Full Band Spectrum detector, great detector, but it did have a SLOW recovery speed. Anyway, we do not know what brand and model Suncoast has, or if he is thinking of another in the future. Again I said "19", but to "recommend" something? I'd say a Multi-Freq. detector, because it ALSO give you the option of a 5 or 6 different single Freq's. Whew, was I long winded in this response or what.

OP
OP
Suncoast Kid

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
Actually, yes, I do use a SMF detector at salt water beaches, but my interest would be if you have used a single frequency with a detector, such as, Deus, Vista X, Tesoro, a prospecting detector, or other, especially one you can adjust or offset, if you had the choice of four frequencies that a certain detector could have, what do you find are your favorite four. It doesn't have to be a whole number for the frequency, as someone suggested 18.75 kHz. Just from your years of experience using a single frequency, and the four that you found were the most efficient?

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Suncoast Kid specified only four Freq's, to choose only one of the those four, if you could only choose one. I said "19", kind of in the middle. Now, having said that, I do prefer a Multi-Freq. detector, handles salt water beach WAY better than a single freq., it's just the nature of the beast, and there could be times that you might choose a single Freq., such as 2,4,10,15,20 or 40 for something specific, also I believe a Multi handles a high mineral content better than a single might. I used single Freq' detectors for years, that's what we had, until I bought a Minelab Safari, a Full Band Spectrum detector, great detector, but it did have a SLOW recovery speed. Anyway, we do not know what brand and model Suncoast has, or if he is thinking of another in the future. Again I said "19", but to "recommend" something? I'd say a Multi-Freq. detector, because it ALSO give you the option of a 5 or 6 different single Freq's. Whew, was I long winded in this response or what.
The way I read his thread he is asking what four frequencies you would choose in a detector that could have four frequencies available that you can choose, he is wanting to know what four frequencies you would want available for use in one detector, is the way I am reading his thread

so in other words you have one detector that has a switch and that switch you can choose one of four frequencies, what four frequencies would you want in that one detector

@Suncoast Kid specified the four frequencies he would like to choose to have in one detector so what are the four frequencies you would like to have available, i personally could care less about it being
SMF (Simultaneous Multi Frequency), but I would not mind a detector that I could push a button or rotate a switch and select either 3 KHz,18.75 KHz, 28 KHz maybe and 48 KHz
so basically it would be a SSF (Selectable Single Frequency) Detector with four available frequencies to choose from to run in SF mode

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I read his thread he is asking what four frequencies you would choose in a detector that could have four frequencies available that you can choose, he is wanting to know what four frequencies you would want available for use in one detector, is the way I am reading his thread

so in other words you have one detector that has a switch and that switch you can choose one of four frequencies, what four frequencies would you want in that one detector

@Suncoast Kid specified the four frequencies he would like to choose to have in one detector so what are the four frequencies you would like to have available, i personally could care less about it being
SMF (Simultaneous Multi Frequency), but I would not mind a detector that I could push a button or rotate a switch and select either 3 KHz,18.75 KHz, 28 KHz maybe and 48 KHz
so basically it would be a SSF (Selectable Single Frequency) Detector with four available frequencies to choose from to run in SF mode
You have that with already with the Equinox and Manicore, you can pick individual frequency or use Multifreq.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You have that with already with the Equinox and Manicore, you can pick individual frequency or use Multifreq.
I do understand that

You can do the same thing with the Legend

me personally I would prefer a detector that only has the four frequencies that I stated and you could only run that detector in only SF mode no SMF available, and I believe that is what Suncoast Kid is trying to get at

Rite now there is an Analog detector that if it were available in the U.S I would own one, but they are not available in the U.S

even with the Legend having all the SMF modes and single frequency modes and all of its features I very seldom use the SMF modes, for me all those features and settings that the Legend is capable of has for me personally taken a lot of the fun out of detecting, and I find myself going back and using the Xterra 705, which is a Selectable Single Frequency Detector capable of running 3 Khz, 7.5 KHz, and 18.75 KHz, i personally had fun when I was using the 705 all the time the only thing I never cared for with the 705 was the fact you had to change coils to change frequencies, if I could get a detector that was capable of running 4 different frequencies with the flip of a switch and you change frequencies, personally I would love it

in a sense the Xterra Pro is what I am personally looking for but I do not like the fact that you can not use that 8 KHz in any other mode other then Beach mode in the Xterra Pro, had Mine Lab made the Xterra pro so you could use any of the four frequencies in any of the detection modes I would have purchased one, but they did not

Golden Mask has a detector rite now that is everything I am wanting in a detector but it is unavailable in the U.S, I could get one if I wanted to order from Golden Mask directly, but I am Leary of doing so, and actually they have a couple of detectors I am interested in if only there was a U.S dealer

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Equinox and Excals, also have 3030 but haven't used it in several years.

You can run in single freq mode, not sure why you would choose to give up mutifreq..

OP
OP
Suncoast Kid

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
Please disregard SMF, as that is irrelevant to the controlling idea of the topic. We all know that we can pick individual frequencies. Please review the original question..

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious, as this is mainly personal preference, and also depends what you are hunting for, but if you had a detector with four frequencies, what would you choose?
Another detector? 🙄

Doesn't it also depend largely on soil conditions and other local factors?

I'm reminded (as a newb) that frequencies aren't everything, and dig every signal.

A year from now, my answer may be different.

OP
OP
Suncoast Kid

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
Yes, even people using a SMF in high EMI, that makes hunting difficult to impossible, switch to a single frequency so they can go ahead and be able to hunt.
Considering all things, EMI, soil minerals, Conductivity of the targets you're searching for, would determine what single frequency that you would pick. My question is what frequency that you find works best for you, actually the original question was, what four. Obviously you're going to pick a different frequency when looking for coins, jewelry, or even using a prospecting detector.

OP
OP
Suncoast Kid

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
I've never went higher than 81 kHz, and never lower than 3. You have quite a spread. Out of your list, are there any that you prefer, if you had to choose, as the question was your top four.
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread