What's new

If Youve Ever Found A Half Filled Treasure Pouch....

garren

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2008
Messages
519
Reaction score
1,330
Golden Thread
1
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If You've Ever Found A Half Filled Treasure Pouch....

If you hunt the beaches of Galveston, TX and came across a black webbed pouch containing coins and a sterling bracelet, here's how it got there...This would've been quite a few years ago.

Late one night I was hunting the surf in Galveston while the tide was out. I had found the usual handful of clad and scored a sterling silver charm bracelet. The surf was rough and the waves were beating me to death. At some point between targets a breaker must have unlatched my pouch and relieved me of my treasures. After the next target I reached for my pouch and it was gone. I was wearing a shorty wetsuit and never felt it come loose. I turned on my headlamp and looked for it about 20 minutes before giving up. I was fuming when I stormed out of the surf just to realize I had also lost my coil cover on the Surfmaster. At this point I'm about to blow a head gasket. What kinda treasure hunter loses his coil cover AND his pouch WITH treasure in it?? I mean, come on, I might as well have thrown my long handle scoop out into the gulf and called it quits!

The next day I stopped by a little shop in Texas City and picked up a new pouch, which I'm still using to this day. I went back out that evening lacking the faith that this trip was going to get any better. Somewhat humiliated, I waded back out into the surf and ended up digging the 14k diamond wedding band pictured below....aaaahh sweet redemption.

14k Diamond Ring.webp
 
Upvote 0
I bet it paid for the pouch.
 
Nice..... have you thought of a safety latch on your pouch? I use a large carter pin to latch up the extra web belt so it doesnt hang, it also acts as a safety catch, if I unhood my pouch latch it will still not come off till I removed the large carter pin...

Just a thought for you..............
 
I keep a couple of big lead fishing weights in my pouch now......found out the hard way that the surf is actually strong enough to flip it up side down. :laughing7:
 
I keep a couple of big lead fishing weights in my pouch now......found out the hard way that the surf is actually strong enough to flip it up side down. :laughing7:

This is another good tip! I've noticed this happening to me occasionally.
 
Great design on the ring, Congratulations. Enjoyed the story
 
Very nice ring! Congrats!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom