Ike Dollar?, Wheaties, & Dr. Snoopy... :)

What ya think? Regular Clad?, or 40% Silver Clad?

• Regular Clad.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40% Silver Clad.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Ike Dollar?, Wheaties, & Dr. Snoopy... :)

Hello all,,,
Grabbed me a temporary digger and got out yesterday for a few hours. As I was heading out the door with my detector in hand, with a screwdriver, and a putty knife to dig with, my brother says, "I got something you could probably dig with", so he brings me this old rusty butchers knife. It has a fairly stiff blade and had a pretty good amount of rust on it, so I took it out and used it. After dig'n for a while the blade cleaned itself up and I noticed the knife was an "Old Hickory". I though Dang, this is too good of a knife to be cutting through the dirt with, so I'm going to clean it up a bit more, stick a new edge on it, and use it in the kitchen... ;D
OldHickory_Knife.jpg

The hunt when fairly well and the knife worked great. I found a total of (3) Wheaties, 1950/D, 51, and a 55/D. I looked at the 55/D but didn't see any signs of a doubled date.. :'( Also found a small Snoopy pin, with the pin part missing, 91 cents in clad, and my first big (Ike) dollar coin. Ooops, forgot to add the Ike is a bicentennial 1776-1976
12_10_07.jpg

The Ike Dollar has me, and Dr. Snoopy, a little puzzled. There are places on it where the red crusty stuff is flaking off and it looks like finely sandblasted silver underneath? I tried to pick more of it off with a toothpick, but it's stuck on there pretty good. All the coins from this site come out look terrible, even the silver, so could this be a 40% silver clad coin, or do ya just think it's a regular clad...
Ike_Dollar.jpg
Close_Snoopy.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated,,, Thanks...
Have a great day, Leon...

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
Re: Ike Dollar?, Wheaties, & Dr. Snoopy... :)

Old Hickory knives have been my digging tool of choice for 30 years. Stiff and hard to break, and take a pretty good edge.

Old_Okie

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice digs Leon..your Ike dollar is the copper/nickel variety..there were no 40% silver Ike dollars. They did mint a silver one, but it may have only been minted in special sets. You'd definitely know if it was silver, there would be absolutely no tarnish or pitting.

The spots are most likely from whatever was in the ground near those places that didn't react to the metal..it's part of the original copper/nickel color.

Nat

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool, Leon! I've never found a dollar coin yet! That digger sure looks like a good one.

Congrats on your finds! Nana :)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

I haven't found a dollar coin yet either. Nice finds, love the digging tool.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What your peeling off, is really damaged metal of the coin. Whats underneath is just more coin that has not been damaged from the elements yet. Its defiantly pure clad, silver won't peel like that from Corrosion.

Keep @ it and HH!!

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It's call "passive corrosion resistance"...once the top layer of the metal is corroded it can serve to protect the underlying metal.

Nice finds Leon!

HH!
TBGO

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congratz on the good finds especially the Ike Dollar ... those Ikes are some huge looking coins and not many of them show up in the forums ... congratz again and continued good hunting & Merry Christmas!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds Leon! Too bad about the half, no silver after 1970. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Thanks all, & thanks for voting...
The Ike dollar coin had me stumped, I've never seen one do this before. As I state above all the coins at this site come out of the ground looking terrible, so I just thought I run it by you guys before throwing it into the pile...

Took the knife out again the other day. The soil at the site had a few more rocks than the previous site and it was a bit harder to dig, but it still did a fairly good job. You just can't put too much pressure on it, which should make for a pretty good training tool for me to practice with... That way, when I do get another digger, hopefully I won't brake it... ;D All I found on this particular hunt was about $1.50 in clad, and a cheap soccer pendant ( it was a small chrome plated shoe ).

Hope you've all had some luck, & Happy hunting~
Have a great day, Leon...

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Nice digs none the less. You got an Ike half and a cool looking knife. You can find the metal contents of all US coins at coin facts dot com.

Thanks for sharing.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Snoppy is always cool. :)

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.

I can remember in the late 80's or so, Med Life insurance made some commericals with Snoopy and Woodstock. Maybe you found some promo item from that. Just a guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread