What's new

IL. Fossil ID?

rob.s

Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
958
Reaction score
22
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
My only guess it's some kind of plant or plant root..Any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

P1050754.jpg
 
rob.s said:
My only guess it's some kind of plant or plant root..Any info will be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Where in Illinois did you collect these fossils? There are a number of possibilities, but they may be sections of nautiloid cephalopod shells. Show us the ends of the fossils.
 
am waiting to see what Harry says. I learn more reading Harry's posts than through any book I've read.
Nice find.
 
Hi Harry,here are a few more pics and all of these were found in the same area just outside of chicago.Let me know if you need more pics and if you any idea on these 6 fossils as well..Thanks!!!

P1050755.jpg


P1050756.jpg


P1050757.jpg


P1050759.jpg
 
rob.s said:
Hi Harry,here are a few more pics and all of these were found in the same area just outside of chicago.Let me know if you need more pics and if you any idea on these 6 fossils as well..Thanks!!!
#2 and #4 are crinoid columnals (stem sections). I am uncertain about the others (group images are usually a waste of image-space).

The original fossils appear to be this:
orthocerasdrawing.webp​
 

Attachments

  • orthocerasdrawing.webp
    orthocerasdrawing.webp
    50.1 KB · Views: 257
That's awesome!!I was thinking there were some kind plants at first..Thanks Harry for info!!!!
 
Hey Rob S, that's a cool looking fossil. I found a tail section of a nautiloid cephalopod in a creek here on my farm in western ky. I have a picture of it on this site. it is under "turtle tail fossil" posted by bochephus. I think Harry identified mine too. It is about 5 inches long, wide and flat. It looked like a petrified turtle tail and we didn't know what else to call it. That Harry is a very good source of information. Looks like you got some great fossils. Thanks for sharing them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom