What's new

illinois axe heads

mainejman

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
1,878
Golden Thread
0
Location
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the elusive axe-head.Just can't seem to find one.But I will.probably didn't raise my odds moving from illinois to maine.I visited illinois last month and viewed these axeheads at a college in monmouth illinois.Imagine trying to groove those axe heads with hide and sand.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20121211_192639.webp
    ForumRunner_20121211_192639.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 251
  • ForumRunner_20121211_192748.webp
    ForumRunner_20121211_192748.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 432
  • ForumRunner_20121211_192856.webp
    ForumRunner_20121211_192856.webp
    40.4 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 0
Those are great. That small two tone one is like nothing I have ever seen. I have one grooved axe. After finding that one axe, I have been ruined. I can't focus on small flaked points anymore. No matter how hard I try, I'm drawn to larger "rocks" for the most part.
 
Imagine clearing land with one of those. I read a reprt where they chopped down a tree with one and kept sharpening it till it broke. Thanks for sharing.
 
Tnmts the size of the first head blows me away.I'm not sure if its ornemental or what.I can't imagine any way of mounting that.you would think the weight would cause such an impact that it would destroy its handle.
 
I have read how many hours it takes modern man to make a raised ridge like mine, and I forget just how long, but I'm thinking it's over 70 hours. Don't quote me. That's just the number that wants to stand out. I gozta post mine again.

image-2987062301.webp



image-3216451997.webp
 
Also, hope you do not mind my using your pic, but what's up with the coloration here?

image-3479053219.webp

Thanks
 
Nc. I'm not real sure.They aren't personal finds.I'm not a rock guy but I'm guessing some mineral or some other type of rock.
 
Nice artifacts! That multi colored one looks like granite.
 
A couple of my personal finds from Illinois.
DSCN0743.jpg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom