What's new

illinois axe

mainejman

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
1,878
Golden Thread
0
Location
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Thanksgiving I'm spending with my folks in Michigan.My brother came up from Illinois.We got to talking about an axehead that my buddy had found this year in Maine.He left the room and came back with this I damn near cried.My brother doesn't artifact hunt but this was probably one of the only things left he had that was given to him by our deceased dad.He said he had had it long enough.I may never find one.But I am the very very proud owner of an unblemished unplow struck axehead.I believe it to be a 3/4 grooved Keokuk axe.I don't know if I'm correct.Anybody out there familiar with this type of axe...mjm IMG_20141127_082340_739.webp
 
Upvote 0
That was very nice of him to give that to you.
 
Your not whistling Dixie GaRebel....He's my only brother. if he wasn't he would upon receiving this be my favorite...mjm
 
Nice ax glad to got it for your collection.
 
Awesome, man! Another thing to be grateful for-- brothers ;) Yakker
 
Super axe and nice story. Thanks for sharing.
 
:icon_thumright: That sure is a beauty, and an awesome tribute of friendship. Nothing better than keeping those things in the family.

p.s. Good to hear that you made it safely to Michigan.
 
Nice axe!! Sometimes brothers are OK:laughing7: Tony
 
Very nice artifact-and the fact that it was found by your dad makes it eve more special. You should display it in a case.
 
I would sure be happy to have received that ax. I would call it a 3/4 groove, which are usually flat on one end. Keokuk axes are flat on both ends. From the picture I cannot verify whether it is a 3/4 groove or a full groove because I can't tell for sure if the end not shown is flat or not. Either way it's a nice ax.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom