ILLINOIS GOLD

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
M

midwest_prospector

I'll try to get some more Illinois gold locations posted on my website www.midwestprospector.com before spring. Be sure to check back from time to time. If anyone would like to contribute a location, just send me an email [email protected] and I will include it. Thanks

Chuck Lassiter

OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
MP,

welcome to the board. Will keep an eye
on your site.

have a good un.........

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Hey Chuck -

Got the book, it is great. I figure that with two huge terminal moraines not 4 miles North of where I live, there might be some gold in them. Marked a couple of good streams with benches, boulder patches, etc. All I need now are some trapper's gloves and insulated waders, and I'm off panning.

Tourezrick
off to strike it rich in his backyard

M

midwest_prospector

Tourezrick,

Glad you found my book useful, I hope you strike it rich! Just remember the most important thing is to always look for areas with exposed bedrock. Good luck & Happy Holidays!

Chuck Lassiter www.midwestprospector.com

M

midwest_prospector

Tourezrick,

Actually there are a lot of areas in Northern, Central and Southern Illinois with less than 25 feet of glacial drift. You don't need to go all the way to So. IND. Take a look at the Illinois glacial map on my website and see if any of those areas are near you. http://www.midwestprospector.com/page11.html

Chuck

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
I am definately looking to find some gold in illinois, I caught the fever when i was in georgia panning, I had no idea that glacial drift would contain gold. Now I am go panning here!!!! Woo Hoo!!! However,not too much drift thickness under 25 feet in my area. I may be way off base here but i am just thinking out loud, but gentlemen let me bounce a couple of ideas. what about panning/dredging just below the mchenry dam on the fox river? it is near the moraine hills state park. it just seem like an ideal spot to me visually. or do I need to go further west and find a creek with reachable bedrock? Does it need to be a creek/river? I read somewhere someone was able to pan some traces of gold in an outwash plain in Mchenry County.

On a second note, I have this Idea Do you think there is any value in choosing an area a posible bedrock valley and drilling down close to the bedrock and then run a dredge hose down and suck up whatever is down there. The idea being that gold will collect in the bedrock valley.Any value in that idea?

Your thoughts?

M

midwest_prospector

Youngladd,

Bedrock is always going to be where the best (chunkiest) gold is at. That being said, downstream from the dam could have excellent potential for some good gold deposits. I discuss that topic a little in my book (Midwest Gold Prospecting) and through the years I have found many a nice nugget within a mile or so of a dam. You could encounter a hard clay layer in the area that you are talking about and if so, it could have good chunky gold laying on it...but not in it! If you haven't already done so, you may want to check out the till thickness map on my Illinois gold locations page of my website: www.midwestprospector.com

As for your idea, you should try it out. I had a similar idea a few years back and I even made a 7 foot long 4" stainless steel pressure/suction tube to try to sample the material down on the bedrock. I was using high pressure water down an outer tube and an eductor setup in the inner tube, to blast and suck at the same time. I never made it past the testing phase though, I must have gotten side tracked with other prospecting projects. Good luck and let me know if decide to pursue your project.

Chuck Lassiter

botay

Feb 27, 2007
have done some panning/slucing in schuyler co. found black sand but no gold. not much water in the creek on mom and dad's place, which limit's my work.

Brush4

Greenie
Feb 24, 2007
Hey Chuck
I live 5 miles from the Embarras River I look at your web page and cant wait till warm weather to do some panning we have a high bluff at our camp on the River that is exposed bed rock would that be a good place to start? I will be keeping a close eye on your site.

Brush4

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to try that some day!!!

Top Member Reactions