What's new

Illinois point find-base only. Any idea?

Arrow1492

Full Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2017
Messages
135
Reaction score
258
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas what this was meant to be? Thanks
 

Attachments

  • 358C1805-3D12-448E-8FB1-1C7F8C00C7E5.webp
    358C1805-3D12-448E-8FB1-1C7F8C00C7E5.webp
    280.4 KB · Views: 119
  • E33FAF18-02AD-4F76-A6FA-5A29434C3FCA.webp
    E33FAF18-02AD-4F76-A6FA-5A29434C3FCA.webp
    336.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 0E6756EF-4679-4253-9022-AFCA1FAF7495.webp
    0E6756EF-4679-4253-9022-AFCA1FAF7495.webp
    329.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 9943695A-6C16-49B3-938E-592C6765E3DB.webp
    9943695A-6C16-49B3-938E-592C6765E3DB.webp
    283.2 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
Perhaps paleo base?
 
Thanks Quito-since it’s a preform, I wouldn’t expect grinding at this stage anyway....
 
Agree. Broken preform. Edges not near finished. Gary
 
Thanks Quito-since it’s a preform, I wouldn’t expect grinding at this stage anyway....

Hmmm n I thought since you were were looking to type the base on this piece you figured it was a finished piece. Sometimes I don’t read real thoroughly.
Sorry my bad.
 
Last edited:
That’s what made me think it was a finished piece that broke ... in few pics the flaking on the right side looked finished to me too
 
All good points made(pun intended). Perhaps a preform or finished blade that broke, and was then secondary flaked on that one edge to salvage as a scraping or hand held cutting tool? It seems a little unusual for just one side of a blade to have had secondary flaking on what appears to have been the base end, where we might expect instead to see grinding or smoothing rather than pressure flaking??
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom