✅ SOLVED Im a bit suspicious of this coin, any opinions appreciated.

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a bit suspicious of this coin, any opinions appreciated.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for looking. I bought a job lot of unidentified hammered coins and have been working through them. Most are very poor quality Tudor coins but after much searching I think that one of them is a William 1st Penny from the Rochester mint.

I'm a bit suspicious of this coin because it is in much better condition than the others. I've tested it chemically for silver and it is positive. It's diameter is 18mm and it weighs 1.52 grammes. I've attached some pictures of it and would appreciate any views as to it's identity, veracity and value.

william1stpenny.jpg

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
William 1st Paxs Type, Extremly fine coin would be a neck end of a Grand, this coin would grade less than that, I doubt it's genuine. There are a lot of fakes around. Very hard to tell from a picture, I would send it the same way as the Saxon coin, and get it checked.

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Frankyg

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I've got the same gut feeling about it. Oh by the way, not all my coins are dodgy!! I've been collecting them for years either buying them or finding them with my metal detector. I always used to tell my wife that when I've retired I'll start selling a few. I've just retired and finally have the time to take a proper look at them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Frankyg

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just measured the thickness with a micrometer and it's 1.13 mm. This makes it even more suspicious. Most hammered silver coins are about half that thickness. It's a pity really, I wanted to sell this one on E-Bay but I won't list it until I know for sure either way what it is so I think I'm going to send it with the other one to the British museum.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just measured the thickness with a micrometer and it's 1.13 mm. This makes it even more suspicious. Most hammered silver coins are about half that thickness. It's a pity really, I wanted to sell this one on E-Bay but I won't list it until I know for sure either way what it is so I think I'm going to send it with the other one to the British museum.
Some of the earlier Hammered coins were struck on a heavier flan, so it being thicker is not out of the way, but it doe's have outher issues, which don't look right. I would like to see some more of your coins Frank :thumbsup:

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Frankyg

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just sold a few on E-bay SS, my user name there is frankygib. I'll be putting some more silver coins on in the next week or so. I've had a good sort out and just put a group of 26 slugs on. I'll be happy with the scrap value but it was great fun finding them. I've also got some really nice Roman and celtic metal artefacts but I'm not going to sell them, they're too nice!!

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just sold a few on E-bay SS, my user name there is frankygib. I'll be putting some more silver coins on in the next week or so. I've had a good sort out and just put a group of 26 slugs on. I'll be happy with the scrap value but it was great fun finding them. I've also got some really nice Roman and celtic metal artefacts but I'm not going to sell them, they're too nice!!
Well I know the folks on here would certainly like to see your finds Frank....post them in the Best Finds Thread :thumbsup:

SS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions