1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm "beg'n" help again!

I saw my brother over Christmas. He told me his x-wife is dying of cancer and he wanted to give her the wedding ring of hers he had lost years ago.He even wanted to give me $200 to find it.Of course i won't take his money but I will try and find it.Here is the problem. I'm using a Whites 4900DL PRO. I don't have much experience with it yet.I know I need to ground balance it but I'm not sure what to set all the other dials to in order to search as deep as possible for a gold ring. It was on a metal chain but not sure if that would be with it also. (His pet coon took it off him without him knowing it)
I'm thinking set it in GEB MAX,With the highest sensitivity and lowest discrimination the tuner will allow me to. Am I on the right track? Or does the discrimination even play into it since it's not in a discriminating mode?Sorry to be so dumb about this but with the circumstances I really need to get this done.This woman is as sweet as they come. I love her to death! I'd really like to be a part of bringing her some joy about now!
Any help would be great guys!BTW, the setting is an old farm so should not be too cluttered with junk.

Thanks,
Wade

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the coon prolly ran to the nearest tree,they like to groom and preen up a tree.The coon would have had a favorite high spot,see if you can find out.I wouldnt worry too much about special settings.Test with a ring of similar size and alloy and remember machine reaction.
Truth is...dig it all at the base of high spots...trees,roof access area(even go up on roof and eyeball for it)base of utility poles.start with spots within 25 yards of the door he used.

next...go low...under porch,old car,build up etc.depeding on soil type it may yet be quite shallow.

final resort...call local detector club and bring in the troops...most would be happy to help.Local member,"theringfinders.com"recovery help.

good luck and I shall pray for your sucess !!

OP
OP

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips. This is what he said happened. He had it around his neck and walked down to the coon cage ('bout 100yds), got the coon and came straight back. Was standing in front of the house talking to someone and noticed it missing.So it has to be on the ground in that distance,if he is correct. This occurred before 1971 when a new house was built there. That's why I figured it could be pretty deep.
Thanks again,Wade

BTW, the nearest detecting club would be 50 miles from here!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Post this on LostMyStuff. Do as suggested and test a similar ring. Use the VDI discovered and don't mess with high conductors. I also don't think this ring is deep, unless dirt has been moved around. My bet is it 6 inches at most. With a similar VDI and a straight line path to the cage, you will find it. martin

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe contact "The Ring Finders" they are global group of professional treasure hunters like us who like to help people find their rings !! :thumbsup:You can find them on youtube, they can give you great advice and maybe help you look !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man,you guys are always on top of it! One thing,What's VDI? This machine doesn't have anything but sound.No gauges,meters any of that.

Wade

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigfoot1's insights on "coons" is well said and thought out.
I hate to say this, but look for coon nesting. They usually keep shiny objects near home, just like us. ;)
Peace ✌

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
This could turn into a classic thread. You got a pet coon swiping a gold wedding ring.
Everyone likes true animal stories. But I gotta ask -- why did your brother have his
wife's wedding ring hanging on his neck? Also did Rocky get put back in the cage that
very night or was he loose overnight. I'm seeing Rocky enjoying being chased all night
by coon hunters and losing the ring during the chase through the woods.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also sent you my phone #wade .Say the word and we will be there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread