Im confused...

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I posted in this forum.

A relic is an object esteemed and venerated because of association with a saint or martyr. An artifact is an object remaining from a particular period and which had a practical purpose. Source(s): dictionary

If you look up the definitions for both you will find that they are pretty much the same, but relics usually are connected to anything religious. This is what I have learned after this whole ordeal. A lot of people refer to Artifacts as Relics...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my dictionary says different http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/+relic?s=t

rel·ic

[rel-ik]

noun 1. a surviving memorial of something past.

2. an object having interest by object of its age or its association with the past: a museum of historic relics.

3. a surviving trace of something: a custom that is a relic of paganism. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/+pagan?s=t
I do believe American Indians did fit the discription of Pagan:
[8. of a person deemed backward, savage, or uncivilized or morally or spiritually stunted. Synonyms: primitive, uncultivated, uncultured, heathenish, barbaric, barbarous, philistine. ]

4. relics. a. remaining parts or fragments.

b. the remains of a deceased person.

5. something kept in remembrance; souvenir; memento.

although Artifact seems to fit here best

ar·ti·fact

[ahr-tuh-fakt]
noun 1. any object made by human beings, especially with a view to subsequent use.

2. a handmade object, as a tool, or the remains of one, as a shard of pottery, characteristic of an earlier time or cultural stage, especially such an object found at an archaeological excavation.

3. any mass-produced, usually inexpensive object reflecting contemporary society or popular culture: artifacts of the pop rock generation.

4. a substance or structure not naturally present in the matter being observed but formed by artificial means, as during preparation of a microscope slide.

5. a spurious observation or result arising from preparatory or investigative procedures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Chiasson

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rel·ic

[rel-ik]

2. an object having interest by object of its age or its association with the past: a museum of historic relics.

3. a surviving trace of something: a custom that is a relic of paganism. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/+pagan?s=t

ar·ti·fact

[ahr-tuh-fakt]
noun 1. any object made by human beings, especially with a view to subsequent use.

2. a handmade object, as a tool, or the remains of one, as a shard of pottery, characteristic of an earlier time or cultural stage, especially such an object found at an archaeological excavation.

3. any mass-produced, usually inexpensive object reflecting contemporary society or popular culture: artifacts of the pop rock generation.

4. a substance or structure not naturally present in the matter being observed but formed by artificial means, as during preparation of a microscope slide.

5. a spurious observation or result arising from preparatory or investigative procedures.

I know Jeff... The definitions are very similar and easy to be confused... Most definitions refer to Relics being of religious nature from what I've been reading...

OP
OP
Don Chiasson

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For instance this is from Wikipedia ....

In religion, a relic is a part of the body of a saint or a venerated person, or else another type of ancient religious object, carefully preserved for purposes of veneration or as a touchable or tangible memorial. Relics are an important aspect of some forms of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Shamanism, and many other religions. The word relic comes from the Latin reliquiae, meaning "remains" or "something left behind" (the same root as relinquish). A reliquary is a shrine that houses one or more religious relics.

Leads me to believe the word Relic itself comes from the word religion...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For instance this is from Wikipedia ....

In religion, a relic is a part of the body of a saint or a venerated person, or else another type of ancient religious object, carefully preserved for purposes of veneration or as a touchable or tangible memorial. Relics are an important aspect of some forms of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Shamanism, and many other religions. The word relic comes from the Latin reliquiae, meaning "remains" or "something left behind" (the same root as relinquish). A reliquary is a shrine that houses one or more religious relics.

Leads me to believe the word Relic itself comes from the word religion...

nothing personal, I've referred to Wiki on occasion also
but usually take them with a grain of salt.

it's Sort of like the Urban Dictionary, allot of Personal opinions posted by people who
feel they have to create new meanings . or perhaps were addicted to Tia Carrere or Angelina Jolie or Harrison Ford movies

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Chiasson

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nothing personal, I've referred to Wiki on occasion also
but usually take them with a grain of salt.

it's Sort of like the Urban Dictionary, allot of Personal opinions posted by people who
feel they have to create new meanings . or perhaps were addicted to Tia Carrere or Angelina Jolie or Harrison Ford movies

No, nothing personal here either, just a discussion... The Merriam Webster dictionary also says the same. Depends on who wrote it I guess....lol. All good though artifact relic, they all mean old stuff!...hahaha

Happy hunting.

OP
OP
Don Chiasson

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, nothing personal here either, just a discussion... The Merriam Webster dictionary also says the same. Depends on who wrote it I guess....lol. All good though artifact relic, they all mean old stuff!...hahaha

Happy hunting.

Wow, lol Marriam Webster has the definitions that I posted, and the Oxford Dictionary has the one you posted... And these are the best 2 English Dictionaries there are.... Pretty funny if you ask me.

OP
OP
Don Chiasson

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rel·ic

[rel-ik]

I do believe American Indians did fit the discription of Pagan:
[8. of a person deemed backward, savage, or uncivilized or morally or spiritually stunted. Synonyms: primitive, uncultivated, uncultured, heathenish, barbaric, barbarous, philistine. ]

ar·ti·fact

[ahr-tuh-fakt]

5. a spurious observation or result arising from preparatory or investigative procedures.[/QUOT

I totally agree..

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I am 64 and my wife refers to me as a relic. I say great finds and post away. It is all old stuff and great to look at.

OP
OP
Don Chiasson

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 64 and my wife refers to me as a relic. I say great finds and post away. It is all old stuff and great to look at.

My problem was I didn't look at any of the nature of topics before I posted.. I looked up the difference between relics and artifacts and I thought it fit better in the artifact category.

Thanks Jon...HH

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The word relic (Latin, relinquo: I leave, abandon) The word relinquish also means to abandon to hold and leave behind, The word relinquish in latin is relinquere. So it looks like they are very similar when broken down from Latin but the meanings have evolved somewhat over time.Cool! I bet it got broke down more during the crusades when we recognized and pillaged relics and later archeology evolved and now we have T-net to set us straight,lol.
I think both are Treasure so...

So this is where it gets really interesting. The Latin word for Treasure is....T
hesaurus :tongue3:

HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Chiasson

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The word relic (Latin, relinquo: I leave, abandon) The word relinquish also means to abandon to hold and leave behind, The word relinquish in latin is relinquere. So it looks like they are very similar when broken down from Latin but the meanings have evolved somewhat over time.Cool! I bet it got broke down more during the crusades when we recognized and pillaged relics and later archeology evolved and now we have T-net to set us straight,lol.
I think both are Treasure so...

So this is where it gets really interesting. The Latin word for Treasure is....Thesaurus :tongue3:

HH

Here it is... If you find Sitting Bulls' ceremonial head dress, you have found a relic.. If you find one of his arrow tips you have found an artifact..lol. All good...

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The word Relic is what the old time collectors used to describe the Indian artifacts they were finding. If you read some of the old books and texts you will see that word bandied around quite a bit. I still know a few older guys (yes, older than me lol) that still call them Indian Relics instead of artifacts.

OP
OP
Don Chiasson

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The word Relic is what the old time collectors used to describe the Indian artifacts they were finding. If you read some of the old books and texts you will see that word bandied around quite a bit. I still know a few older guys (yes, older than me lol) that still call them Indian Relics instead of artifacts.

Yep, turns out they actually mean the same thing.. The thesaurus says they are so....relic, artifact. Same darn thing...

OP
OP
Don Chiasson

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, turns out they actually mean the same thing.. The thesaurus says they are so....relic, artifact. Same darn thing...

But if you found the ark of the covenant you'd better not call it a artifact.....lol

Flatwoods88

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the one that asked if you consider those buttons artifacts or relics. No reason to get bent outa shape and try to prove some kind of point to everyone. If you click the metal detecting forum there is a relic hunting forum, click that then at the very top there is a forum that is strictly buttons, you would probably find more info there. Those are cool but kinda outa place here in my eyes. I wouldn't post a thread asking info on a point in the buttons forum.

OP
OP
Don Chiasson

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the one that asked if you consider those buttons artifacts or relics. No reason to get bent outa shape and try to prove some kind of point to everyone. If you click the metal detecting forum there is a relic hunting forum, click that then at the very top there is a forum that is strictly buttons, you would probably find more info there. Those are cool but kinda outa place here in my eyes. I wouldn't post a thread asking info on a point in the buttons forum.

Yes, I seen that after... FYI they are North American Artifacts...I'm not bent out of shape..I call them artifacts.. So I posted them in that forum, if the forum is supposed to be all about Indian artifacts that's what it should be called. That is what I was trying to point out.. I was told wrong forum, and from the title of the forum, it wasn't posted in the wrong place...treasure net should have another forum for Native American Artifact. If they did do you actually think I would have posted them in there? " no " ... Now I'm just commenting on all of the posts in discussion about it.. No problems.... Except a couple of members gave me a hard time. Not you... I have come to the conclusion that they are one in the same. They both refer to each other in the dictionaries,

P.s. I have posted many buttons in the relics ( buttons ) forum. I just didn't know what it was when I found the one with the designs on it and that's why I put it there, I also putti in " what's it" .. I was just covering my bases trying to find out what it was.

Refer to Jeff of Penn post on previous page ( super Moderator ) he even said that they fit under the description of an artifact better than relic.

HH
Don C.

Last edited:

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
welcome to tnet Don

you started an interesting thread which can clear things up a bit

i am glad we are fairly specific about what this sub forum of Tnet is......."American Indian Artifacts"

we welcome pertaining thoughts like yours

larson1951

OP
OP
Don Chiasson

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tnet Don

you started an interesting thread which can clear things up a bit

i am glad we are fairly specific about what this sub forum of Tnet is......."American Indian Artifacts"

we welcome pertaining thoughts like yours

larson1951

Where do I find sub forum " American Indian Artifacts" ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions