Im officially hooked.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I'm officially hooked.

I'm well into my second week of coin roll hunting, and so far it's going well. I haven't kept track of how much I've searched, but I'd guess it's around $1500 dollars---all halves. I'm mainly looking for silver, so I avoid the other coins. (but I love hearing about non-half finds, though!) I've been trying to save $500 to buy my first box, but yesterday I found 391 Ikes! So there went most of my money. None were silver, and most were commons, but among them was a gorgeous 1973. This morning I sorted them all and found both type 1 and type 2 bicentennials. Are there coin wrappers for Ikes? Anyway, back to the halves: I wasn't having much luck, although I did find a bank that's open on Sunday and stays open until 8 pm on Friday and has a free-to-use brand new coin counting machine---definitely going to open an account there. And I found an entire basket of Cherry Coke Dum Dum suckers! I only took one, though. Despite these finds, I was only finding the occasional 40%er. It was now too far of a drive to get back to the free coin counter, and I was getting tired of rerolling and cashing in my halves at every other bank. I was doing well, by any standard, but I was wasting too much gas and getting greedy. haha. I drove straight to the most economically disadvantaged part of town, where the banks have security guards that open the door for you after you pass through three security doors and the tellers are all behind glass and speak to you through an intercom---the banks that are dilapidated and ugly and across the street form abandoned buildings. Anyway, there were only 8 rolls to be had and I bought them all. Jackpot! Every roll had a keeper! I found several proofs, one of which was a bicentennial silver. I found 5 '64's, a coin from Portugal, and a 1920 Walker! Not to mention 10 40%ers. Still haven't found a Ben, but a Walker! I'm officially hooked.

Upvote 0

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Re: I'm officially hooked.

IS there a mint mark on the walker? What is the condition? That is a good find. Please post a picture.

Searcher

B

baseballbandits

yea lets see a picture of that 20' walker...sounds like a nice roll your on. 391 Ikes at one bank?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the finds! It sure is easy to get addicted once you start finding a few.

What part of Ohio are you in?

OP
OP
fiatboy

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007

You guys are lucky. I usually don't have access to a digital camera, but tonight I do, albeit it's of very poor quality and I only had a few minutes to take the photos. It's the best I can do for now.

First are the proofs: 2 clads and a silver bicentennial.

Then all the 40% silver I found. One of them is painted blue and purple, probably by some kid. Or maybe one of you guys colored it. Who knows? Perhaps it was me. I do remember coloring some coins as a child. hahaha. I love finding quirky coins like this.

Next are the 1964's I found.

Then my Ike dollars, neatly stacked in a shoe box for temporary storage. I would have stacked them easier to see if I had known I'd be taking photos of them. But it's not easy restacking 391 Ikes.

Penultimately, and the leader of the bunch, is the 1973 Ike. Prettier than all the rest, and rarer.

And finally, and old 1920 Walker. Very worn. How'd he survive in circulation all these years? The 19 is worn off, but the 20 is visible close up. My first Walker. I couldn't be happier. The obverse is the same as the Silver American Eagles I collect, and although it's heavily worn, to me it has more character and appeal than some run-of-the-mill BU68 slabbed coin anyone can buy from a dealer. This one I found myself. hahaha.

Attachments

• 3Proofs.jpg
    3Proofs.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 217
  • 40s.jpg
    40s.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 64s.jpg
    64s.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 391Ikes.jpg
    391Ikes.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 217
  • Ike73.jpg
    Ike73.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Walker20.jpg
    Walker20.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 158

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

WoW! Good going. That '73 Ike is a beaut, and about perfect. I wonder if somebody cracked open a set for that one?
Nice Walker too! Thanks for the pics.

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark

Wow. those pictures really add to your story. thanks for posting. really cool silver Ike's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread