Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still here

Hey everyone, just lettin u guys know im still here. Been kinda busy with work and all, but I'm finally gettin to go swingin the detector this Friday. Weather permitting of course. I recently went to the outer banks of NC and found a few interesting things. First, a few rocks of some kind. They are black, somewhat shiny and even have a rainbow stripe discoloration only when in the right light and angle. There appears to be some metal content in them because they have a few spots of rust. I'm thinkin they are chunks of something burnt or some mineral. I found them in the sand in a dried-up inlet on Portsmouth Island, so maybe something off of a ship. I will post pics in a bit and get the detector out and see if they register on it. Second, i found a vertebrae of some kind. It appears to be fossilized but I'm not sure. Just curious about what animal and how old, so if anyone knows about marine anatomy, let me know and I'll post/mail a pic of it.

Good luck & happy huntin,

RR

Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm still here

:icon_thumright: keep swingin an have a good one

OP
OP
Shady Digger

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: I'm still here

Ok here are the pics of the rocks. They have no metal content, the detector was dead quiet going over them. The biggest weighs 10.1 oz, the one with rust-colored sand is 7.5 oz, the one with red discoloration is 1.8 oz and the last is 1.4 oz. I've also taken a pic of the bottom of the biggest, it looks like the sand is glued to it, which makes me think heat was involved somewhere. The last pics are of a fossil of some type that was found on the beach of Ocracoke Island. It has a rib-like structure on the bottom of it, and the top has some kind of worm looking markings on it. Anyone have any ideas to what the rocks and/or fossil might be?

RR

Attachments

• DSCN0749.JPG
    DSCN0749.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCN0756 1.JPG
    DSCN0756 1.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCN0760 1.JPG
    DSCN0760 1.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 308
  • DSCN0758.JPG