What's new

Im stumped, may I pick yalls brains?

jsandin

Full Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2008
Messages
231
Reaction score
92
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm stumped, may I pick y'alls brains?

An outing in a park yielded no coins whatsoever. Instead, another mystery item. It appears to be very old, and cast metal, possibly brass. It is very rough-textured and greyish, but I can see just a sliver of brass peeking out at one edge. It is definitely not iron.

There appears to be a front and back, but I don't know which is which. One side has parallel lines, and the other side has a depression in the middle with decorative(?) oval shapes cast into it.

The other item in the picture is an aluminum band which at first I thought was a bird band. But it is stamped CRYOVAC so I'd say it's the closure for a plastic-wrapped turkey or other large meat item.

The rest of my park finds added up to about a pound of assorted canslaw. On the way home I found a 1941-S wheatie in the reject bin of a Coinstar at a supermarket.
 

Attachments

  • Finds 5-3-09  5 small.webp
    Finds 5-3-09 5 small.webp
    45.6 KB · Views: 458
  • Finds 5-3-09  6 small.webp
    Finds 5-3-09 6 small.webp
    46.4 KB · Views: 452
  • 1941-S lincoln cent 003.webp
    1941-S lincoln cent 003.webp
    8.9 KB · Views: 434
Re: I'm stumped, may I pick y'alls brains?

Yes its a bag seal. The other could be many things, appears to be broken off on the one end...
I would guess bronze not brass, but who knows.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm stumped, may I pick y'alls brains?

The band thing looks like a bird band but I can't tell what it says on it. It's probably a bag band, but just tossing out another possibility. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm stumped, may I pick y'alls brains?

I'd go with a bag band. The bands for birds are either aluminum or plastic. Iron or tin would rub the birds leg causing infecxtion not to mention weight.

Can't really tell by the picture the item on the left kind of looks like the clip off of an earring. I'm not an expert, just guessing on that one
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm stumped, may I pick y'alls brains?

I have a couple of real old pigeon bands that are lead! Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom