What's new

Im Stumped

viving

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 14, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ocean Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Stumped

Hi Ya'll. I'm a newbee that's happy to find this site. I found this circular glass and brass "thing" in Del Mar California at a home that was being torn down. The original owners collected lots of stuff that I will be posting after this one.
I know the owners like to study and collected books on drugs and death and had pharmaceutical charts etc...

This piece has stars on the bar that holds the burner or dish. The bottom is open, has lid. @ ram heads are at the top and seems to have hoofed feet.

The brass seems solid. No markings or numbers, just the stars on the bar?
I'm so curious!
Viv
 

Attachments

  • pipe 025.webp
    pipe 025.webp
    59.5 KB · Views: 940
  • pipe 024.webp
    pipe 024.webp
    191.4 KB · Views: 917
  • pipe 028.webp
    pipe 028.webp
    75 KB · Views: 921
Re: I'm Stumped

question
if the plate inside was used as a show peice for what ever , to show off what was placed on the plate .....
why would the plate be visually obstructed by the foot /leg that goes to the top.
the inside plate should be turned 45 degrees or so so you would have an unobstructed veiw of the contents.
Also, if it was a fly trap, flys, bugs fly up, not down - to escape
Brady
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm Stumped

bradyboy said:
question
if the plate inside was used as a show peice for what ever , to show off what was placed on the plate .....
why would the plate be visually obstructed by the foot /leg that goes to the top.
the inside plate should be turned 45 degrees or so so you would have an unobstructed veiw of the contents.
Brady

There's a nut on the bottom that secures the post that the plate is attached to.. You should be able to adjust the position of the plate by turning the post.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm Stumped

I thought about an opium and incense pot too, but the center resting panel is on a slant, which said display to me, plus the holding plate is not burned. I agree with Lumix about the nut being able to rotate/adjust.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm Stumped

I am going with lamp, straighten the center piece and set a little votive candle on it and post a pic. The one funny thing is the center piece is missing the patina of the rest of it, protected by wax maybe? Ornateness aside most period pieces serve some basic necessary purpose, therefore it is a lamp, the bottom is open as is the top for air flow, it can also be hung by the top bracket. like a porch lamp
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm Stumped

Is the inner pedestal bent at that angle or does it appear to have been manufactured at that angle?
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm Stumped

It cant be a lamp because its not vented enough on top. A candle would extinguish itself or the glass lid on top would crack. Also no wax or heat marks.

Im going with some kind of urn or mourning display. It would help to know if the little dish is bent.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm Stumped

texastee2007 said:
I thought watch display.
Maybe. Its not your typical bell jar (not sealed on the bottom) but maybe. :dontknow: The chain would hang down though.
 

Attachments

  • watch display.webp
    watch display.webp
    11 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom