Im sure a lot of you have done this

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
Im sure this isn't a new breakthrough idea, but figured I would say it here just in case it could help someone. Its using google earth to plot out all future spots. I use an old atlas of my county that has all the old locations and who lived where, ect. ect.
I compare it to google earth, find the spot im looking for, then map all the locations on google earth. Very handy, you can add any info you need to and then you don't have to "rediscover" any areas that you don't get a chance to look over on previous years.
Just thought it might help some of you. Happy hunting :)

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I have a few spots marked, but I hadn't thought about marking most of my leads. Sounds like a great idea! Thanks! :)

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good idea. Might even be easy too.

Thank you for submitting it.

Stryker

OP
OP
Woody14

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
Yea it really works out. Theres lots of room to put all you investigations from each area in too. I make my tac's different colors to so I mark off ball fields, old roads that are no longer there, old homesteads, wells and other areas I find.
Im always into finding new areas because I worry about running out of spots, but whats funny is I have so many spots marked for my area that I don't think I would ever be able to get to them all, lol.
Of course without that old atlas of mine, I wouldn't even of known some of the places existed. I wish they did new atlases with such detail as they did back in the 1800's.

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
Google Earth has a neat feature where you can overlay a picture over an area. You can take an old aerial photo, topo map etc (.jpg) of a an area of interest and line it up over Google's picture and make it as opaque as needed. And save it! This is especially helpful in locating old building or landmarks which may no longer be there. I also use Google's Latitude and Longitude for points of interest and program them into my GPS as Way Points. It's very accurate.

Pete

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Woody14 said:
Yea it really works out. Theres lots of room to put all you investigations from each area in too. I make my tac's different colors to so I mark off ball fields, old roads that are no longer there, old homesteads, wells and other areas I find.
Im always into finding new areas because I worry about running out of spots, but whats funny is I have so many spots marked for my area that I don't think I would ever be able to get to them all, lol.
Of course without that old atlas of mine, I wouldn't even of known some of the places existed. I wish they did new atlases with such detail as they did back in the 1800's.

I'm in the same boat Woody. I live in WNY. Got so many sites within five minutes that are huge that completely hunting them seems daunting, let alone venturing out into the local countryside or even worse hunting the whole state. I find stuff that is so mind boggling that I keep wanting to get allot of hunters together so we could manage these huge sites and still move on to cover more areas. Problem is, either not enough hunters in my area or lack of interest from other hunters like you, because we have such a wealth of sites right in our own backyards. Oh woe's me guess I'll have to just keep struggling along on my own. He he he. ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
Woody14

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
MD Dog said:
Woody14 said:

I'm in the same boat Woody. I live in WNY. Got so many sites within five minutes that are huge that completely hunting them seems daunting, let alone venturing out into the local countryside or even worse hunting the whole state. I find stuff that is so mind boggling that I keep wanting to get allot of hunters together so we could manage these huge sites and still move on to cover more areas. Problem is, either not enough hunters in my area or lack of interest from other hunters like you, because we have such a wealth of sites right in our own backyards. Oh woe's me guess I'll have to just keep struggling along on my own. He he he. ;D ;D ;D
My problem is though, I have so so many spots, but they all look so so good to me :)
Sometimes I find sites that are so good I want to post em for people in the area to check out, but then I have to calm myself because I may get a chance to go to them and don't want to just give em away. Its like knowing a juicy secret but you can't tell. Oh well. ;)

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea! I've been using TOPO! for a long time have numerous maps with related information / research saved. Notes & new info added as it becomes available. I located all parks in my area & marked them on their own map then added other interesting spots from Google Earth & NASA World Wind. I run it on a laptop with a GPS. I've been able to find small parks & playgrounds I've driven by and didn't even know they were there.
You can make a seperate map for each type of searching you do. Example. I have another program that lists all the abandoned mines in the U.S. I built a seperate map for each county in my state. Another for swimming areas from swimming hole & hot spring locations gleaned from the web & books. The thing I really like is it's a really portable setup great for when I have a couple hours down time between places I have to be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread