New Idea

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I'm probably not the first person to ever think of this but here goes..

Have you ever been to a new site and found that due to soil accumulation over the years that the first 4 inches is all trash? You know the good stuff is below that layer of "new dirt" but to get below that you'll have to dig up all the junk first and decontaminate the area.

If a metal detector can be designed to ignore the ground and various items that we tell it to, why can't a detector be engineered to ignore a certain depth and everything in it? What if we could set the depth descrim to 4 inches and then only pick up what is below that? I think that would be a huge help in trashy areas such as parks and beaches. You'd discriminate out anything within the depth that you chose but then you could concentrate on the deep targets only.

Good idea? Bad idea? Is that possible? ???

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its called a sod cutter ::)

schlooppy

Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City, Mo.
I have the garrette gti 2500 and it has this feature. You can discriminate out whatever depth you want. Never used it so I do not know if it works well.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
You ask a reasonable question. I wish they would invent one that would say...."It's just another f'en pull tab. lol

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Some metal detectors have a blanker. They can blank out up to the first five inches of ground.
Garrett 2500GTI and Bounty Hunter Time Ranger are two that comes to mind. I have used mine
where there were lots of trash on top of the ground, or just under the grass, and it works good.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing would be are you wondering if you blanked out the gold ring someone dropped a couple months back?

I'm waiting for the Companies making ground penetrating radar systems to make a system affordable for the general hunters. Yeah I know, soon as they do I'll be waiting for the 60' long digger ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread