What's new

Image change?

watercolor

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
4,116
Reaction score
1,352
Golden Thread
0
Location
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always bothered me that when you metal detect, you are considered a "metal detecting hobbyist".
Who was responsible for coining this term? Or, are we all at fault for perpetuating this image of metal detecting.

The first image that comes to mind when I hear the word "hobby" is this. . .
> :tard:<
(usually found discarded in basements, closets, or in garages)

When ANYONE sets foot into a public park or on public land to enjoy a "pastime, diversion, exercise, or other resource
that affords relaxation and enjoyment" (legal of course) they are referred to as a valid "outdoor recreational site user".

If you were a public park site manager, who would you take more seriously, an "outdoor recreational site user" or a "hobbyist"?

I think it would benefit everyone that enjoys metal detecting to share some of their thoughts or ideas on how the stereotyped image
of metal detecting as a "hobby" could be transformed into what it really is. . . a valid, "outdoor recreational activity".
 
Sounds like a title they would like to lisence and or tax,, Maybe if they had a little money trickling in from it, they would see this in an completely different light, of course with that comes rules and regulation, we need a few more of them, but maybe better than an all out ban.. This hobby could probably save the economy, from jobs created. Endless funded studies on impact, office space construction, the government would, probably have to purchase a fleet of vehicles so re-search and enforcement personel could get around on and on & on... Smile, its still the greatest country on earth dl il
 
What would you hope to gain by this? I am not trying to be funny, I really don't understand how this would make things any better for us. To me it seems like it's just two ways of saying the same thing. Charlie
 
Mark, I know where you are coming from. What we need is a "metal detecting LOBBYIST".

Someone to look out for our interests with local governing bodies. Of course that would be financially impractical. I guess that means that we need to be our own lobbyists to promote our interests and keep us from getting walked on by bureaucrats and a small minority of complainers.
 
kimsdad said:
Mark, I know where you are coming from. What we need is a "metal detecting LOBBYIST".

Someone to look out for our interests with local governing bodies. Of course that would be financially impractical. I guess that means that we need to be our own lobbyists to promote our interests and keep us from getting walked on by bureaucrats and a small minority of complainers.

Hear hear!
And maybe some old skateboarder T shirts with the "Skateboarding is not a crime!" replaced by "MD'ing is not a crime!"

Tried suggesting the campaign contribution method to my old club, they didn't get it.
Those of us in Chicagoland and in particular those who know the CCFP also know the Toddler is in charge there.
Do I overstate the obvious when I say he would sell his dead fathers skin for a campaign check?
We could include our own wording into the rules for a few dollars more.
 
watercolor said:
It's always bothered me that when you metal detect, you are considered a "metal detecting hobbyist".
Who was responsible for coining this term? Or, are we all at fault for perpetuating this image of metal detecting.

The first image that comes to mind when I hear the word "hobby" is this. . .
> :tard:<
(usually found discarded in basements, closets, or in garages)

When ANYONE sets foot into a public park or on public land to enjoy a "pastime, diversion, exercise, or other resource
that affords relaxation and enjoyment" (legal of course) they are referred to as a valid "outdoor recreational site user".

If you were a public park site manager, who would you take more seriously, an "outdoor recreational site user" or a "hobbyist"?

I think it would benefit everyone that enjoys metal detecting to share some of their thoughts or ideas on how the stereotyped image
of metal detecting as a "hobby" could be transformed into what it really is. . . a valid, "outdoor recreational activity".

You must be a lawyer for the government......

I don't think we need to make ourselves politically correct. ie:garbageman/sanitation engineer....fisherman/underwater food resource harvester....

It's a hobby.......I do it in my spare time and if I get the fallout benefits of exercise or do it in a public domain...it's still a hobby, which happens to employ a metal detector.

Metal detecting and all it's facets, like research, site scouting, old newspaper browsing...are all parts of this fine hobby which occupies my spare time.

Al
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom