Images From The Desert

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing :laughing7:
Enjoyed the video.

Seriously though,
I recommend a burro or a dog or both as they are perfect desert companions. :icon_thumleft:
Although Rex is pretty cool.

burro.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goodyguy, a burro would sure lighten the load and like you say, make a good companion as well. I'm a small man as you can see and my pack usually weighs 80 lbs and upwards. Happy hunting out there friend.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I grew up with Burro's. Rode them daily until I was big enough for my first horse. They are fine animals for the desert but you really need to consider a few things before you choose that option.

1. Food - A wild Burro has to eat most of the day to get by. You are going to want to take up eating time when you use the Burro for transportation. Without some pretty decent pasture for 2-4 hours a day that means you will need to carry hay.

2. Water - It weighs a lot and you will need enough for you and the Burro. Same story as above.

3. Wild Burros aren't going to go along with your plans. They will refuse a halter and panniers will be out of the question. Just getting one close enough to touch will put you in danger of your life if you haven't already "broken" several before. Plan on spending two years training a wild Burro before they will be of any real use to you when mining in the desert.

Add up the additional pack weight for food and water, training time and expense and I think you will see an ATV might be a much better option.

Alternatively you can still find some well trained working Burros in Mexico. They aren't cheap and getting them North of the border could be an education in government red tape but it would put you a few years ahead on your Burro plan. Still there's that food and water thing...

OP
OP
D

Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goodyguy, Talking about these burros brings back a golden story of my youth. I have an older brother whos' favorite place to hang out is prison. I just love the guy to pieces, one of those guys that's so wild you can't help but admire on the one hand and on the other wonder what in the world is wrong with them. Anyway, whenever he'd get out for a short spell me and him would grab the whiskey bottle and celebrate the few days of freedom. Once after a three day run he said, "Let's go to Vegas." He said he had learned a way to beat the crap table in prison, ya right buddy! Off we went drunker than hoot owls into the night, after running off the road several times and side-swiping a pole, we were in Vegas.

There aren't many who are going to believe this but my brother had worked his winnings up to almost twenty grand! All of a sudden girls started lining up and bringing him free shots, as if he wasn't drunk enough already. It wasn't long and he could hardly stand, I told him to knock this off and lets cash in and buy a new car, he pushed me away and called for the pit boss. He got them to raise the max bet of the table and in an instant it was all gone. I was too young to bet so I had a few bucks on me to get us back home and keep us whiskey fueled.

On the way back he took some of my money, bought a bottle of whiskey and we stopped by one of his favorite prisons and planted it outside for the fellers to find. As we drove on he said, "Brother, I'm hungry." About this time he yells! Pull over" He starts running into the desert screaming at me, "Help me catch one of these burros, we'll skin it and eat it right here." My god man! these burros just kept running in a large circle until we simply fell over from exhaustion. :occasion14:

OP
OP
D

Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay Diggins, probably not a good idea in my current situation, I'm running around on BLM land and can't give the impression that I'm living out here. I also have an old motorhome that I move 30 miles every two weeks, and transporting a burro wouldn't work. I am interested though, but an ATV would be handier.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
LOl... I have to agree with Clay yet again. While an ATV ain't much to talk to, at least you don't have to worry about feeding it when you're not using it! Oh... and ya don't have to clean up after it either!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps a dog and a dirt bike is a better idea for you...........
At least get a dog for some intelligent companionship. Rex doesn't seem all that bright :tongue3:

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
goldenIrishman, this conversation makes me think about the old Jeremiah Johnson movie and the short clip in this video.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread