Important Announcement from White's Electronics

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had White's detectors since 1984. I bought an Eagle II in 1989 and even though it was still working and had never been in the shop I bought an M6 in 2014 which was a very good detector. Then in 2018 I bought a White's TreasurePro and the thing was a piece of junk and I sold it after only a few months. A shame that they may be going under because at one time they were king of the hill and now they may become nothing more than a fond memory. Just seems like they lost their way somehow and couldn't keep up with the other manufacturers.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me wrong, China's impact on US businesses is crushing, but in the case of White's, I tend to think they couldn't keep up technology wise. Even looking at my Whites I bought new around 2010, it's circuit boards were 30 year old integrations of single layer boards with thru hole components, not modern multi layer boards with Smd components and pc based programming and connectivity.

In 2010 the only models that was still thru-hole were the Sierra Madre and maybe the Beachhunter ID. Everything else was SMT with multilayer boards. White's was quick to adopt SMT and even had two in-house pic-n-place lines. Production-wise, White's could match anyone.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only ever had White's - currently have an MXT , and an MX 7 - not because I think they are better than other makes/ models , just sorta worked out that way ...(I'm beginning to consider either the equinox 800 , or the xp deus) ..sorry to hear that White's is folding ..

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it that semiconductor stockpiles are being diminished, mainly produced in China? Could possibly affect probably all manufacturers of electronics.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2010 the only models that was still thru-hole were the Sierra Madre and maybe the Beachhunter ID. Everything else was SMT with multilayer boards. White's was quick to adopt SMT and even had two in-house pic-n-place lines. Production-wise, White's could match anyone.

Maybe production capacity wise, but technology/feature wise, they were falling behind. It's easy to wax nostalgia a little bit too much about products of our youth.

I mean in 2010 I bought a Whites DFX (and I assume it's tech was pretty much the same from its inception until its demise). I paid about 1000 new for it. It was slow, I once downed a beer with Chuck Norris while waiting for it to recover. It had a display straight out of the 80's, with a pixalated LCD with the resolution of a TI calculator from the 70's and 80's. The box that housed the electronics was huge, I mean you could literally fit the entire motherboard out of a laptop in there. It took this huge 8 AA battery thing that was only rechargeable with an external charger and only if you put rechargeable AA's in it and its life, relative to its size, was dismal at best. I don't think they ever upgraded or improved it significantly (not sure what year they killed it, probably just recently) and it sill didn't have any wireless, no computer connectivity, no updating. That big old box dangling under it would send smoke signals to the ancient gods if you even so much as had a roof leak. I could probably think of some more but i'm tired...

Was it a great detector, yes, but Whites was a tired company and there's a reason White's admitted it was in part due to "Intense Competition".

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe production capacity wise, but technology/feature wise, they were falling behind. It's easy to wax nostalgia a little bit too much about products of our youth.

I mean in 2010 I bought a Whites DFX (and I assume it's tech was pretty much the same from its inception until its demise). I paid about 1000 new for it. It was slow, I once downed a beer with Chuck Norris while waiting for it to recover. It had a display straight out of the 80's, with a pixalated LCD with the resolution of a TI calculator from the 70's and 80's. The box that housed the electronics was huge, I mean you could literally fit the entire motherboard out of a laptop in there. It took this huge 8 AA battery thing that was only rechargeable with an external charger and only if you put rechargeable AA's in it and its life, relative to its size, was dismal at best. I don't think they ever upgraded or improved it significantly (not sure what year they killed it, probably just recently) and it sill didn't have any wireless, no computer connectivity, no updating. That big old box dangling under it would send smoke signals to the ancient gods if you even so much as had a roof leak. I could probably think of some more but i'm tired...

Was it a great detector, yes, but Whites was a tired company and there's a reason White's admitted it was in part due to "Intense Competition".
After all that negativity you’re calling the DFX great? Yes I bought one new also, was a great tot-lot machine at best!

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As heartbreaking as the letter is, there isn't any confirmation on a total belly up situation. A lot of companies have suspended productions globally., and they are doing what this letter states, re evaluating their company. All this down time for companies,than can make it thru this are pooling resources, collecting ideas, creating new molds, etc.

This shouldn't be considered Whites death certificate yet.

juit

Mar 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
fisher cz5
Minelab 705
Fisher f5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankly, their marketing sucks. This really doesn't come as a shock. When was the last time you saw an ad for White's machines?

They dont need it

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"the time has come for retirement from White's Electronics."

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Sounds like you didn't know how to set the recovery speed. DFX is still a very capable detector, for people who take the time to learn how to use it. It's not a turn-on and go machine.
Jim

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you didn't know how to set the recovery speed. DFX is still a very capable detector, for people who take the time to learn how to use it. It's not a turn-on and go machine.
Jim

Well, it could be easy to dimiss my criticism as being one of those guys who "didn't take the time to learn it", but it wasn't my first Whites, my first Whites was a Spectrum XLT. I spent 4 years with Whites Products. They were good detectors. Most aren't denying that, but that's missing the point, a point that keeps being deflected to it's "tank" like build or it's "quality", it was falling behind in the tech and feature dept. My gosh, it still took AA batteries for petes sake, when most all electronics were running rechargeable lithium ion technology that'd plug directly into your wall, and now many have moved to IMR battery tech. At it's demise, it was a couple of decades behind just in it's power supply.

Last edited:

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I sold my Equi 800 and picked up a XP Deus. Never looked back. My ears could not tune into the Equi. Will keep my TDI BH for as long as it works. Fantastic machine.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I'm saddened by this. I will never forget the memories Whites gave me.

juit

Mar 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
fisher cz5
Minelab 705
Fisher f5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, it could be easy to dimiss my criticism as being one of those guys who "didn't take the time to learn it", but it wasn't my first Whites, my first Whites was a Spectrum XLT. I spent 4 years with Whites Products. They were good detectors. Most aren't denying that, but that's missing the point, a point that keeps being deflected to it's "tank" like build or it's "quality", it was falling behind in the tech and feature dept. My gosh, it still took AA batteries for petes sake, when most all electronics were running rechargeable lithium ion technology that'd plug directly into your wall, and now many have moved to IMR battery tech. At it's demise, it was a couple of decades behind just in it's power supply.

Cmn man they can use lithium

juit

Mar 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
fisher cz5
Minelab 705
Fisher f5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim
Yup

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cmn man they can use lithium

No, Lithium is not to be confused with rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries that I spoke of. Lithium Ion AA size batteries (commonly referred to as 14500) are 3.7 Volts each. Regular "lithium" AA batteries are 1.5v. You'd fry your Whites if you used Lithium Ion's in your Whites.

juit

Mar 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
fisher cz5
Minelab 705
Fisher f5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, Lithium is not to be confused with rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries that I spoke of. Lithium Ion AA size batteries (commonly referred to as 14500) are 3.7 Volts each. Regular "lithium" AA batteries are 1.5v. You'd fry your Whites if you used Lithium Ion's in your Whites.

I use this in my whites, also bought the ones from russia took a lot of weight, could go for 4 hunts and didnt need to charge

(DELETED FOR RULE VIOLATION)

Last edited by a moderator:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use this in my whites, also bought the ones from russia took a lot of weight, could go for 4 hunts and didnt need to charge

(DELETED FOR RULE VIOLATION)

This even makes my point further, Whites was so behind in tech, you had to spend an extra $150.00 just to try to get it up to around the year 2000 in battery tech...My first flip phone in 2000 has rechargeable lithium ion tech. In all fairness, most detector companies lag behind as I don't think they have the R&D budgets of most tech companies. I was using AA's in my AT Pro too. Most lacked wireless headphones too up until the past few years (some still don't). Same with being waterproof.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread