In between the rain showers -- a few wheats and a walking liberty

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
OK, OK, its not a walking liberty half dollar, but it does have a walking liberty on it!

I was getting the oil changed on my car, and since--oddly--it wasn't raining, I decided to hunt the sidewalk strips that were near the dealership. (you know you live in the PNW when you hunt, seek shelter, hunt, seek shelter, hunt, seek shelter, etc)

I only got a few minutes of hunting in before the rain set in again, but I found a pile of clad (not shown, I always just put it right in with my other change and spend it), the french walking one franc, and four wheats; 48-S, 46-S, 44-S, and 20-S.

If the rain ever, ever stops, I'm gonna hit that area again. There were tons of signals but I was only digging the ones that I thought could be old coins. The franc was near the surface and sounded like junk, but it was near some old-sounding signals so I was trying to get it out of the way.

The funniest thing happened while I was hunting!

I was digging on a deep sounding signal when this nice kitty comes up to me, pausing to watch me and see what I was doing. I took pause myself to look at the nice kitty. Then the kitty goes and sticks its head clear down in my hole! I started laughing hysterically just because it looked so funny, then said to the cat "what, you want to help me find it"? To my utter amazement, the cat put its paw in the hole and started digging!! I would love to say that the cat found the coin, but I had to finish the job myself. It was one of the wheats, by the way.

Attachments

• l2.jpg
    l2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 431
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks everyone!

With a little training, I think that cat could be a good little helper indeed. :D

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
should have kept the cat and trained it to sniff o ut coins so you don't need to lug around a MD! Nice finds..

HH
-GC

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's actually Marianne on the French coinage, not Liberty. I made the same mistake and learned something. Nice finds and good luck when you get back there, cool story about the cat. HH, Mike

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
goldencoin said:
should have kept the cat and trained it to sniff o ut coins so you don't need to lug around a MD! Nice finds..

HH
-GC

Thanks GC.

Seriously, I wonder if a dog could be trained to find silver?!?! I'd never thought of that before, but they have dogs trained to smell all kinds of weird things nowadays.....why not silver??

>heading to the pet store<

Bavaria Mike said:
It's actually Marianne on the French coinage, not Liberty. I made the same mistake and learned something. Nice finds and good luck when you get back there, cool story about the cat. HH, Mike

Thanks Mike. I didn't know that, but I did wonder when I originally wrote this post if it was actually Liberty or someone else. In retrospect, "...and a walking Marianne" wouldn't have made such a catchy title. ROFL ;D

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a "Westie" that loves to dig!
West Highland Terrier. Dig a foot deep hole in sixty seconds if she's after something.. ::)

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
dg39 said:
Got a "Westie" that loves to dig!
West Highland Terrier. Dig a foot deep hole in sixty seconds if she's after something.. ::)

So have you taught her to look for coins yet or are you not tellin'?!? ;)

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Your Luckey That Cat Didn't Decide To Make A Deposit In That Hole, And Then Cover It Up. Thats What My Wifes' Cats Would Have Done. Best Of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 024.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 024.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 204
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 024.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 024.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 222
OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
LOL @ that gif !! ...and don't even get me started about all the dog poo peeps leave laying around. That was something I was dealing with yesterday, too.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story, mlw. Great coin, too. :)

Is there a date on it? I'm not familiar of when they were minted.

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
lol thanks Allen.

Thanks Mona. These 100% nickel francs in this style were made beginning in 1960, this one is 1966.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great kitty story ML! Love it!

Nice finds too!

Congrats!

;)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
sherm said it, id have taken the cat home with me! he could hunt when im at work! ;)

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks peeps!

I tried to get my friend's puppy to smell some of my silver, but he didn't seem too interested. :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread