MrE

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2014
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
White's MX5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been swinging my MX5 now on the beach for a total of 8 hours. I've had many newbie "firsts" (first pulltab, first bottle cap, first bobby pin, first penny, first foil wad, first tent stake, and first hotel key).
The hotel key was the most exciting find, on smooth wet sand at low tide! I'm wearing it around my neck until I can trade it up...

I remember reading about the location of the headphone jack and thinking that it might be an issue. However, after using the machine, I prefer it there on the right side! My headphones have a single cord running out of the left earphone. I quickly discovered that by wearing the left earphone with the cord on my right ear, the cord would run right down the outside of my right arm (holding the detector), and never be in the way whether I was swing left or right. The signals are mono in each ear so it doesn't matter which way you wear the phones.
Just thought I would add my thoughts. I do wish that that I had an L plug on my jack, but that's something for later!!
Cheers!
E

Agreed. I don't understand the concern with the plug on "the wrong side". The signal isn't stereo is it? Does it matter whether the left or right ear piece is on the right ear?
I'd be more concerned about how well the MX5 handled notched discrimination and how clean and definitive the signal was.

Since the MX5 came out you do not see much about it not like the 250 …or F2...is the MX5 a disappointment ?

The MX5 isnot a disapointment.Very good machine.The placement of the headphone jack has zero affect on me,since I don't wear them.

IMHO the most important second item when detecting is a good set of headphones. Nibbler, you won't know what becoming one with the detector is until you use headphones.
luvsdux

I used headphones for 17 years.I've been hunting 5 years without them.Don't miss them at all.I hunt in the middle of the woods all the time.I have no problems hearing the deep targets.The MX5 and sorex pro has volume control which I very much like.

The volume on the MX5 can be turned up quite loud through the speakers. I only use the phones when I don't want any nearby folks to hear what I hear. And while I haven't heard a reason given by people who say they don't like the location of the headphone jack, I will guess that most are righties that prefer it in the middle or on the left side and not the right. I'm a lefty.:thumbsup:

Stick a transmitter on it and forgetaboutit! :laughing7:

20140620_103219.jpg 20140620_103510.jpg 20140620_102607.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back