In my near 33 years of detectng, I've NEVER had a day like this!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been at this great hobby since March of 1991, and have had many great days and finds through the years, including a Pine Tree Shilling, but never had a day quite as unique as this one.

I haven't been able to get out much at all- those who know me know why. Regardless, I had to take a trip to my old hometown and thought, why not get the Manticore out and hit my favorite old Seated park.

I've hunted this park since 1996, close to 350 trips there, and yet it continues to amaze.

Within minutes of firing up the machine, I got a consistent 66 about 4" deep. Couple of scoops later, was pretty sure I saw something silver fall in the bucket- it was a near-slick Carlos III 1/2 Reale- nice start. Next good signal was a solid 44, same depth- turned out to be the Chinese cash coin. Not long after a solid 24, Buffalo nickel- looks like a 17 but the obverse is in rough shape. The finds just kept on coming with the 1895 Indian next (solid 58), then the 1925 Merc, great condition (79-81), then a 1920 wheat (72) and the last find was the 1891-O Seated dime. I've now found 38 Seated coins at this park, 33 of which have been dimes. The great thing about this one is that there was a junk 36 signal, shallow, right next to what I thought was a consistent 81. I pinpointed and dug out the pull tab and went over it again- rock solid 81 about 6 inches. Saw the O mintmark first so figured I had a Barber, but Surprise!

What makes the day so unique was that the 7 coins pictured were the only coins I found all day- not a single piece of clad or Zincoln or anything. All old, no duplicates, all different types- I thought that was quite cool.

Kind of dark when I got home and tried my best to get good pics. Thanks for looking and HH all!

Attachments

• DSCN4043cr.JPG
    DSCN4043cr.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCN4044cr.JPG
    DSCN4044cr.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCN4046cr.JPG
    DSCN4046cr.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 215
  • finds120923O.jpg
    finds120923O.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 73
What makes the day so unique was that the 7 coins pictured were the only coins I found all day- not a single piece of clad or Zincoln or anything. All old, no duplicates, all different types- I thought that was quite cool.
That is cool. Very cool. That's an amazing productive park!

Congrats on the latest hunt
I think that would put a smile on anyone's face getting those results.
I this the first piece of silver from the park?
Sure did, thank you! I'm at just under 300 silver coins from this park and just under 600 Indians- amazing place, considering so many others have hunted it as well. Best find of my life, my avatar, is a silver bust of Jesus I found on Good Friday, 2004.

Nice variety of coins covering a large time span. What a fun day. Congrats neighbor. Happy hunting!
Thank you neighbor!!!

I remember when my ex wife convinced me to move from MA to FL.
Another reason she’s my ex.

Congratulations on the sweet digs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back