What's new

In Need of a New Toy

bigscoop

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
14,653
Reaction score
9,097
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can I say, it's summer and sand has created quite a slow down in productivity. So I've been doing the wet sand thing, cooking myself to a deep chocolate color while draining myself of bodily fluids. So as I'm being roasted I'm thinking to myself, "You know, I could be finding just as little out in the comfort of the water, if not for all that deep mushy sand out there."

So now I'm thinking deep PI, something with a small coil to help reduce drag that will still hunt deep with good sensitivity? Sure, I can put the small coil on the Excal and water hunt with relative ease, but if I'm going to be out there challenging the deep soft sand then perhaps I need a new toy, or two, just so I can finally put this latest curiosity to rest.

So to all you PI users, what would be your choice machine for the job at hand? And this isn't the Gulf, this is the east coast so current and surf is going to be a constant factor and it's going to create drag. What you say? :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
I know you're asking about a PI machine but if that's the case you might want to consider a Sovereign GT and hunt in all metal. If you use the 10 x 12 SEF you will get awesome depth and the 13" Ultimate even better . You also have the option of going into Disc just to check your target. Something to think about...the better of both worlds.

If you're not familiar with the GT, I can assure you that you won't be disappointed in the depth with those coils. I have 2 DFPIs, 2 GT's and an Excal, so I'm talking from experience not BS....you'll love it.

"Deep water hunting"....no place for a Sov.
 
Let me readdress my current situation.

The Excal setup I have now has been arranged for the wet sand and shallow and moderate water hunting. If I do anything else with this setup it will be the addition of 15 x 18 coil. The connectors, which I require for this setup, simply will not tolerate constant submersion in the rough environments encountered, and believe me, I have tried them all. Eventually they will all leak and also wear from the routine changes. So this machine can't be my deep water setup.

What I'm considering now is a dedicated "deeper water" time tested machine that offers me the best opportunity VS the drag, turbulence, and the deep fine sand that's going to be frequently encountered. Could be I just by another "dedicated Excal" with a ten inch coil and add the mods, maybe an 8" CZ-21, or could be I go with a PI unit to which I have little experience with? So I'm just fielding input and trying to assess if a PI is really going to/could make a noticeable difference? To this I'm still straddling the fence.:dontknow:
 
Hey Sandman, I will have to try the coil backwards thing out. Had read about that on a thread before but had forgotten about it. Might improve my opinion of the Sand Shark in the rough surf that I deal with on some of the beaches that I hunt. Sometimes the simple things are the best improvements. Thanks...Stuart
 
"Deep water hunting"....no place for a Sov.

Sorry bigscoop, I read " wet sand thing" ....it might help if I read the entire post.:BangHead:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom