What's new

In Need of a New Toy

bigscoop

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
14,653
Reaction score
9,097
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can I say, it's summer and sand has created quite a slow down in productivity. So I've been doing the wet sand thing, cooking myself to a deep chocolate color while draining myself of bodily fluids. So as I'm being roasted I'm thinking to myself, "You know, I could be finding just as little out in the comfort of the water, if not for all that deep mushy sand out there."

So now I'm thinking deep PI, something with a small coil to help reduce drag that will still hunt deep with good sensitivity? Sure, I can put the small coil on the Excal and water hunt with relative ease, but if I'm going to be out there challenging the deep soft sand then perhaps I need a new toy, or two, just so I can finally put this latest curiosity to rest.

So to all you PI users, what would be your choice machine for the job at hand? And this isn't the Gulf, this is the east coast so current and surf is going to be a constant factor and it's going to create drag. What you say? :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
I own the ATX, Infinium and SurfMaster Pro for PI detectors. I would still use my Excalibur in FL. You do not have the black sand and rocky beaches we have here in the Northeast. If you still want a PI...the ATX hands down. See my recent post about Posting updated thoughts about the ATX.
 
Bigscoop You can't go wrong with a Sand Shark and it is lots cheaper than ATX and has that lifetime warranty that you will never need.
 
Bigscoop You can't go wrong with a Sand Shark and it is lots cheaper than ATX and has that lifetime warranty that you will never need.

I'm curious about the coil design, a drag and "planing" related concern in the currents. Should I be?
 
I own the ATX, Infinium and SurfMaster Pro for PI detectors. I would still use my Excalibur in FL. You do not have the black sand and rocky beaches we have here in the Northeast. If you still want a PI...the ATX hands down. See my recent post about Posting updated thoughts about the ATX.

My current Excal is setup with a connector so I can change coils. It has been primarily setup for the wet sand and say, chest deep water. I really don't want to subject the connector to constant submersion in a turbulent environment. Also, I only have the 8" and 12 x 15 sef coils, the 12 x 15 creating way too much drag in the targeted environment and the 8" (actually smaller) lacking the coverage area and targeted depth in this deeper water. Maybe I'll just go with another Excal, fit it with a fixed coil, send it to Joe for some mods, maybe not? Just evaluating the plus and minus of the options. Maybe when the ATX has been time tested and the hype settles down I'll consider one, but not till then.
 
Last edited:
One last criteria is toughness as I'm going to be getting slammed around and so will the machine.
 
sounds like sand shark to me...
 
Sand Shark all the way. 8" coil is slim and lightweight, and the entire unit is built like a tank. Easy to use, and all the controls are right on the faceplate. You'll ask yourself why you waited so long!
 
Sand Shark coil flips up constantly in rough surf. Big drawback.
 
You can try my DF but it's on a long straight shaft, had it out Sat, a few hits in one lil trough I found, I just hunt the trough with the current, and walk back the edge and hit it again.
 
BS. Go with the Sand Shark. You won't be disappointed for all the reasons listed below. I had mine out in 3' waves yesterday and the coil didn't flip as I have it really tightened down when hunting in rough surf. There is also a coil mod posted on TN for that issue if it arises. SS is a TANK and virtually indestructible. GL
 
SeaHunter II only thing I will use in anything over waist deep. Always finds the goods if they are out there.
 
Thanks for that tid-bit. I can't have that. :thumbsup:

agree 100%!!!!!!! nice compact simple design overall, but that coil sucks!! waves/current catches it and flip!!! you have to fold it back down! very stable sensitivity wise though!! if you could rig something to keep the coil from moving then i would say give the shark a shot..........i thought you tried a shark out a year or two ago.????

you probably cant beat an old whites surfmaster/dual field?? im going to sell or trade one of my land machines and get one.

i would love to try an atx for about a week, they look very weird and bulky and when i held one i was turned off by its weight.
as far as an infinium or seahunter??????

chuck.
 
All you guys that have troubles with the Sand Shark coil flipping up, you ever thought of putting the coil on backwards? No more flips.
 
All you guys that have troubles with the Sand Shark coil flipping up, you ever thought of putting the coil on backwards? No more flips.
genius!
 
Sand Shark coil flips up constantly in rough surf. Big drawback.

Never had this problem. I think it is more of a user error problem than a design problem. I have seen guys use a piece of duct tape on their Dual Field and Seahunter coils to combat flip ups in ankle deep surf.
 
I get the flips. You get sand mixed up with the nut. Clean it out and your good. I actually use my foot alot to flip the coil. Its a sand shark. It loves sand.
 
I know you're asking about a PI machine but if that's the case you might want to consider a Sovereign GT and hunt in all metal. If you use the 10 x 12 SEF you will get awesome depth and the 13" Ultimate even better . You also have the option of going into Disc just to check your target. Something to think about...the better of both worlds.

If you're not familiar with the GT, I can assure you that you won't be disappointed in the depth with those coils. I have 2 DFPIs, 2 GT's and an Excal, so I'm talking from experience not BS....you'll love it.
 
I really don't want to subject the connector to constant submersion in a turbulent environment.

I agree with this. Hardwire and seal the coil on your Excal. Get an extra wire and connector for the other coil and hardwire and seal it also. Then you can still change coils (and attached wires). The connector at the box doesn't receive as much sand and abuse as the one at the coil end.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom