In search of old homestead I went from Civil War to the spacerace! (Fatty IHC)

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to find, from some old maps, an old home site. I hit on a road on my way back, and little bit down that road I hit a nice signal that turned out to be this 1863 fatty Indian Head Cent
Resized_20161107_113059.jpg Resized_20161107_113107.jpg

Another stellar day weather wise this was where I was hunting.
Resized_20161107_111522.jpg Resized_20161107_123847.jpg Resized_20161107_123901.jpg

I searched a good portion of this road and found a lot of old shotgun head-stamps bottle caps and then a rocket? I'm thinking a model rocket, IDK, if anyone has seen something like this feel free to chime in.
Resized_20161107_122613.jpg Resized_20161107_123648.jpg Resized_20161107_123805.jpg Resized_20161107_123811.jpg

Here is everything I found
Resized_20161107_141841.jpg
Enjoy the pix
HH & GL
Brad

Upvote 13

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a cool find wow that's why this hobby is so great ya never know what your gonna find nice coin also Thanks for sharing

pen

Apr 7, 2015
Ardmore, AL
Detector(s) used
Deus, AT Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!

I found a rocket once while metal detecting but I live in Rocket City (Huntsville, AL) 14449907_1397992830215658_5847835480920042179_n.jpg

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A rocket? Well that's a first. How cool! Nice IHP, too. Congrats. -Lisa & John

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be 'over the moon' with your day's finds! Har har har

Cool finds, and that IH looks pretty sharp.

You mentioned shotgun head stamps- I've been paying attention to them finally after all these years. Actually found a few really rare ones!

Here is a link to a head stamp database by a guy named Turtlefoot. His site is awesome for id'ing old shotgun heads. http://www.headstamps.x10.mx

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY THERE NICE FINDS>>

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a cool find wow that's why this hobby is so great ya never know what your gonna find nice coin also Thanks for sharing
Thanks, it never gets old, seems like my nitch, I find the strangest things.

Nice finds!

I found a rocket once while metal detecting but I live in Rocket City (Huntsville, AL) View attachment 1379219
I was texting Scrappy and he told me it was nice knowing you, lol

A rocket? Well that's a first. How cool! Nice IHP, too. Congrats. -Lisa & John
Thanks Lisa. I just know it's you with all the replies,lol

Congrats on the fatty. :thumbsup: Interesting rocket!

HH
Thanks
I love that fatty, looked like the guy who lost it was on his way home from the mint!

Areal nice early I.H.penny,and your pics are just awesome.
Thank you, I try to convey with my pix how nice it is out there, I'm going much deeper in the woods tomorrow. I hope I can find this homesite, it might be so far back, maybe no one hit it yet. I'm not getting my hopes up, I'll just pick there leftovers.

You mentioned shotgun head stamps- I've been paying attention to them finally after all these years. Actually found a few really rare ones!

Here is a link to a head stamp database by a guy named Turtlefoot. His site is awesome for id'ing old shotgun heads. Turtlefoot Headstamp Project
Thanks Cache, I'm still so amazed to the condition of that fatty, normally a nickle and bronze coin like that does not hold up. I took that picture immediately after pulling it deep out of it's hiding spot. At that time the quick glance I looked I seen detail and figured it was a 1900's IHC. I never noticed until much later while sitting on a deadfall taking a break. This neck of the woods is pristine "pineys" there is a 2 to 4 inch topsoil then under it is sugar sand. Almost like being on the beach, a few of the headstamps when I know they are not deep I can dig with my gloved hand. I'll try and remember to get some pix of it tomorrow.

HEY THERE NICE FINDS>>
THANKS BUDDY

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here is a link to a head stamp database by a guy named Turtlefoot. His site is awesome for id'ing old shotgun heads. Turtlefoot Headstamp Project

I have been saving headstamps for turtlefoot for a year now I'm going to ship them to him soon!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang Brad you dig everything. That rocket is unique, but I don't think I'd have touched it. Congrats on that fatty. :occasion14:

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Brad you dig everything. That rocket is unique, but I don't think I'd have touched it. Congrats on that fatty. :occasion14:
That's kindof scrappies reaction, couple years back I seen some state troopers pulling up into a field that I seen two females detecting. I quickly turned around to nib ****. A few of my buddies work out of that nearby barracks of the state police. They had call them because they dug a real bomb. AAF during the WWII had a training base in my area, they used to bomb a remote area not far from this field for practice. When I first seen this come out of the ground, that's what ran through my head.
Thanks, it sounded like a silver dollar, Allot of times I'll check with my Garrett carrot to size up objects to make up my mind as to if I'm going to dig it or not. Being it was vertical in the ground, it seemed like it was fairly that size. Lol

Congrats on the injun and other finds
Thanks Art

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt Brad! That IHP is in great condition and the rocket is really cool... it looks well made too like its not a toy.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Fatty! In decent shape for coming out of the ground. Congrats and HH

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Brad! That IHP is in great condition and the rocket is really cool... it looks well made too like its not a toy.

There was factory writing on it, but the paint flaked right off. The tail rudders are spring loaded, I believe so it can be shot out of a tube, once it comes out of the tube the rudders spread out. (just my theory) When my son young we use to fly these rockets.
Estes Launch Set | Model Rockets | Model Rocket Kits | Hobby Rockets | Rocket Launchers | Model Rocket Engines | Hi-Flier Rocket | Estes Rockets

I picture this thing I found yesterday being a fifties or seventies verson of that?

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was factory writing on it, but the paint flaked right off. The tail rudders are spring loaded, I believe so it can be shot out of a tube, once it comes out of the tube the rudders spread out. (just my theory) When my son young we use to fly these rockets.
Estes Launch Set | Model Rockets | Model Rocket Kits | Hobby Rockets | Rocket Launchers | Model Rocket Engines | Hi-Flier Rocket | Estes Rockets

I picture this thing I found yesterday being a fifties or seventies verson of that?

I used to fly those rockets too about 25 years ago! haha Back then I would by the engines at Ben Franklin (craft store, long out of business) and they were cheap. For a couple bucks you could get four B or C engines... now its like $10 for four. :icon_scratch: It was cool to build them too... the crazier the design the more fun it was. ha

If yours is the 1950's version of the current model rockets that is impressive... very well made. If one of the Estes rockets were buried for 60 years, it would be dirt by now. haha

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions