What's new

In the Treasure Corner - Death of the Dollar Bill?

Dan Hughes

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2008
Messages
472
Reaction score
71
Golden Thread
0
Location
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
dollar.jpg

If certain members of congress get their way, the one-dollar bill could soon become extinct. There is a serious move afoot to replace the paper dollar with a dollar coin.

Dollar coins have been tried and rejected before. Compared to the Susan B. Anthony dollar, the Ford Edsel was a roaring success.

But this time around, the dollar coin would be forced upon us, because the dollar bill would no longer be made.

And by the way, did George Washington really throw that silver dollar across the Potomac River? You'll hear that story here, too.

Listen at http://thetreasurecorner.com.
 
I think we just got a raise...............
 
I dont mind, myself.

More things to find..... and its no longer an FRN note.
 
Write your Congressman if you support this. Personally I do.
 
May be good for detecting...but not so much in your everyday life.

I spent a little time in England, and had to use the 1£ coins for everyday life, eating, shopping, etc. Personally, I did not like them...by the end of the day you usually had half a dozen to a dozen of those rather thick coins in your pocket and they were heavy, bulky, noisy and uncomfortable. I imagine it would be the same result over here. Unless they sized it to be thin and fairly small, but probably not, it will probably be thicker and slightly larger than a quarter...put 6 or 7 half dollars in your front pocket and walk around all day with them...pretty annoying, at least to me. :)
 
I herd this story,but the Mint said that they want to get rid of the penny and the dollar coin,because no one is using them.Also the dollar coin can't be used in vending machines. :icon_scratch:
 
Produce Guy said:
I herd this story,but the Mint said that they want to get rid of the penny and the dollar coin,because no one is using them.Also the dollar coin can't be used in vending machines. :icon_scratch:

We use a lot of pennies to pay sales tax. As for dollar coins not working in vending machines, I'm sure that if these coins were used by everybody, the vending machine companies would make machines that took them.
 
Nah, the new machines take credit cards like the new parking meters. Frank
 
Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh pleaseoh please oh please oh pleaseoh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please....
 
So what happens if you want to get $50 dollars back in ones from the drive through for the strip club? Will the suck tube even go back through the tube to get to you ? And where would strippers put these? Would they have those little change counters like gas attendents in the old days? These should be serious considerations for Congress.

Btw, this is purely hypothetical. I have been to one strip club in my life and only cuz you could walk right into it from the metal bar it was connected to.
 
I live in North Idaho about 5 hours south of the British Columbia, Canada border and often visit there. I really like their one and two dollar coins. (loonies and toonies) They are light and small enough to be easily pocketable, distinct enough that a blind person can tell what they are and the folks up there tell me that they have saved their government a good bit of money as they don't have to keep replacing worn out bills. PLUS THEY ARE GREAT FINDS WHEN COIN SHOOTING. I've felt that the Sacajawea dollars and/or the current presidential dollars would be just fine if the paper dollar is taken out of circulation so the public is forced to accept and use them. It would quickly become the standard. And did I mention they are great finds when coin shooting?
BB
 
bearbqd said:
So what happens if you want to get $50 dollars back in ones from the drive through for the strip club? Will the suck tube even go back through the tube to get to you ? And where would strippers put these? Would they have those little change counters like gas attendents in the old days? These should be serious considerations for Congress.

Btw, this is purely hypothetical. I have been to one strip club in my life and only cuz you could walk right into it from the metal bar it was connected to.

That's a great point. :laughing7:
 
Sure Bear, me too. Only one in my life lol!
 
Ive been saying they should do this for decades.
The attachment to the paper 1 dollar bill is an analogy for many things we do in this country that are supported by little to no logic.

I hope they do this.
Cant wait to find lots of dollar coins in the parks. :headbang:
 
I read once that the lifespan of a $1 bill is something like six months.

A quarter lasts about 25 years.

I know some people don't like the idea of a dollar coin because of the weight, but folks, you're not supposed to leave them in your pocket or in jar. They supposed to spent.

Or dropped so i can find them later.


Yeah, I'd kinda prefer that. ;D
 
I just posted in a similar thread, about how a cashier at the grocery store was stumped by a Kennedy half dollar, and had to be told what it was worth and how to cash it.

If we replace our paper dollars with metal ones, these jerks will probably put them in the quarter slots.
 
Snarkie said:
I just posted in a similar thread, about how a cashier at the grocery store was stumped by a Kennedy half dollar, and had to be told what it was worth and how to cash it.

If we replace our paper dollars with metal ones, these jerks will probably put them in the quarter slots.

True. It will be a difficult change for the idiots and they will complain but in the end they will learn to use their brain, slightly. :laughing7:
 
Dam! I was just getting used to the sounds on my detector on how & what a dollar bill sounds like to dig em! :headbang:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom