Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got home from my first trip of the year doing some detecting at fort sites used during the Snake Indian War (1864-1868). I got a new permission this year and it produced my best find of the trip. I started out at this location digging a few .45-70 and .56-50 casings. Then I got into an area where I found almost the complete upper section of a shoulder scale. After wandering around a bit (it's a large area), I got a solid 30 on my Equinox 800. I was thinking I might get a quarter, but it was even better when out came a complete Model 1872 Dress Helmet Badge. It's got a few tears in the metal and some bends, but everything is there...all the arrows, the wing tips, even the E PLURIBUS UNUM banner. Finding one of these without missing pieces is pretty rare. I was so happy. It'll definitely be going in my display case. Oh and that 30 reading was to be repeated a little later. I'll be making another post with the best finds from my trip and the second 30 target will be one of them.

Attachments

• Model 1872.jpg
    Model 1872.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 39

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got home from my first trip of the year doing some detecting at fort sites used during the Snake Indian War (1864-1868). I got a new permission this year and it produced my best find of the trip. I started out at this location digging a few .45-70 and .56-50 casings. Then I got into an area where I found almost the complete upper section of a shoulder scale. After wandering around a bit (it's a large area), I got a solid 30 on my Equinox 800. I was thinking I might get a quarter, but it was even better when out came a complete Model 1872 Dress Helmet Badge. It's got a few tears in the metal and some bends, but everything is there...all the arrows, the wing tips, even the E PLURIBUS UNUM banner. Finding one of these without missing pieces is pretty rare. I was so happy. It'll definitely be going in my display case. Oh and that 30 reading was to be repeated a little later. I'll be making another post with the best finds from my trip and the second 30 target will be one of them.
Nice find!! I keep hoping to pull a button or something like that at the Indian war sight that I hunt.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to have you back posting Mason Jarr! You bring a perspective from a different part of the country not often represented here.That,s a beautiful badge,congrats on finding it and look forward to seeing your other finds.Good luck to you!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing FIND !!! CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
super save and in such great condition, well done

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a beautifully designed eagle. Congratulations!

OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find!! I keep hoping to pull a button or something like that at the Indian war sight that I hunt.
If you'd like one, I'll send you a button so you can see how it sounds to your machine. Message me your address if you do. I've had pretty good luck finding buttons, but most of them are usually bent a bit.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you'd like one, I'll send you a button so you can see how it sounds to your machine. Message me your address if you do. I've had pretty good luck finding buttons, but most of them are usually bent a bit.
Thank you, I really appreciate the offer, but I dig everything that makes a sound out there. It’s about 8 out of 10 sounds are some kind of relic. One spot on the last day I was digging 45-70 casings every swing. These are from the two trips I’ve been up there.
A1145774-3FA3-4431-A24D-5EAD222EDB95.jpeg
2ABCB56D-1DCE-4580-A508-0B587AFEFEFB.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding find! Can't wait to see your next post.
Thanks everyone for the comments. Silvermonkey, I made the second post in the Relics subforum under the Military grouping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread