What's new

✅ SOLVED India Indian God or Goddess - Who is it? Ivory or bone?

tabfinder

Full Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
243
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Estate find and I can't identify who this is. My brother said he did the hot pin test....not plastic...but not sure on composition. Any help please? Age of the item and possibly where it was made....there are NO maker marks. Thanks! Trying to solve this for my brother....he thinks I'm a genius....lol.:BangHead:
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0525.webp
    DSCF0525.webp
    371.8 KB · Views: 559
  • DSCF0526.webp
    DSCF0526.webp
    360 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCF0527.webp
    DSCF0527.webp
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,253
[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Saraswati, India Goddess of knowledge, music and creative arts.[/SIZE][/FONT]
 
Upvote 0
Definately ivory. The crosshatch pattern on the bottom are called Scrager(?) lines and are the definitive mark of elephant/mammoth ivory. If you search "identifying ivory" you will find a site called "is it real or is it fake". Check it out and it will give you all you would like to know about spotting ivory. This information is a must for any garage/estate sale junkie. I find one or two pieces a month, almost always the people who are selling it have no idea what they are selling. The pin test is unreliable and could damage a valuable piece. Nice Indian goddess, I'm jealous. From the browning on the back, I would say pre-war for certain, possibly 100 years. The golden color on the back comes from skin oils after handling it. Probably go for $80-$100 on Ebay, but now is not the time to be selling ivory. In a number of years, I expect the price to skyrocket once easily obtainable mammoth ivory becomes more scarce. Did I mention I'm jealous.

capt-zero
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks guys....sure appreciate it.....guess I stay a genius! Lol:hello2:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom