Indian Artifacts; The same way as Confederacy Artifacts ??.

MObushwhacker

Feb 20, 2010
Scott County Missouri
Detector(s) used
White DFX
Several months ago I watch the Pawn shop show (Pawn Star) on the history Channel. An elderly gentleman brought a very valuable confederacy sword in to sale. The sword story was that this sword was a family heirloom and been in the family for generation. The sword was a non-impressive old sword with the CS engraved on the blade. The pawn star not knowing what a confederacy civil war sword was worth ask that a military sword and arms expert look at it and get some advice, like what the sword is worth.
The expert looking at the sword give a brief history of sword used by the confederate states and then dropped the bombshell, recommending that the owner not buy the sword or other confederacy items, because over the last fifty years the market was swamped with counterfeit items and people were not buying because of the many reproductions. Some so good, they could not be distinguish from the real thing. End of movie. The pawn star did not buy the CS sword because of modern reproductions.
The morrow of the story is. Just recently, I was speaking to a knapper and he jokenly made the remark that he no longer made perfect arrowheads because they will not sell and now only makes imperfect arrowheads because they will sell. Stating, “If there too good people will be scared of them.”
I have a large collection of Indian artifacts that I have accumulated and found the last fifty plus years and if I go to sell them, the true value propably would not be paid because of all the reproduction over the years. Will Indian artifacts go the way of Confederacy Items?? Or is there a 100% test to prove their authentication?

Upvote 0
I think the real value of artifacts come with the finding. Profit doesn't enter the picture for me. I know some guys repair their broken points, it is usually quite obvious. There is a patina on most artifacts.

I think the real value of artifacts come with the finding. Profit doesn't enter the picture for me. I know some guys repair their broken points, it is usually quite obvious. There is a patina on most artifacts.

no doubt! you can't put a price on the feeling you get when you dig out something that is under 2 or 3 ft of hundreds of years of erosion. Some of my best/favorite pieces wouldn't sell for 10 bucks.

They try to fake, even usong acid to give fake patina, the experts can tell the difference.

I buy from only one source now if I buy, he hunts full time for a living and all come with lifetime guarantee of authenticy, since he finds all of them he knows they are the real deal. I found thousands while living in Missouri but laws in Fl are different, you can not remove any attifact from any gov land here, city, county, state, or federal, even if it is in a creek, I will not take the chance of losing my collection so I no longer hunt as long as I am in Fl.

but you can hunt pers prop in fla though right?

I'm surprised the government doesn't get involved in all aspects of relic hunting in every state. I mean isn't that their job. Taking away everyones fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back