Indian/Buffalo Nickel

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK is there a reason why the Buffalo Nickel (as everyone seems to call them) is called that instead of it being called an Indian Head Nickel?

Is it because the Indian Head penny was around before the nickels were? And so they were called Buffalos instead of Indians to avoid any monetary confusion? I could understand this in a game of poker where you might hear "I'll see your Indians and raise you two buffalos".

I read online about how the Indian head penny was also called a nick or nickel before nickels were produced - this was 1859 to 1864 when they had 12% nickel in them - although in the middle of 1864 the content of the penny changed to 95% copper & 5% tin, and the weight of the coin decreased. (Info from LynnCoins.com web site)

I don't have a good answer. But I will tell you what ticks me off is when I see them referred to as "Buffalo Head Nickels." It's either a Buffalo Nickel or it's an Indian Head Nickel, but it is not a "Buffalo Head". It may have to do with the fact that the Buffalo became more of an iconic image on the coin. The artistry was good on the Buffalo, but much more art work went into the Indian. He was a composite sketch of 13 different Native Americans. It was back when there was the sentiment that no actual person's image should be on our coin, but they wanted a realistic looking Native American.

But the buffalo's head is on the coin, Jon! Albeit a bust. That's why I call them furred bust nickels. Also furred beast nickels, or beasties.

Lowbatts said:
But the buffalo's head is on the coin, Jon! Albeit a bust. That's why I call them furred bust nickels. Also furred beast nickels, or beasties.

Well, maybe if you call them "Wee Beasties" that'd be okay.

Hmm... Don't know why, but that's what I was raised calling them, too. Maybe because it's easier to say "buffalo" than "Indian Head". Fun to find but hard to clean and no precious metals - I still think they're stupid!

Great new avatar, Mayo! :thumbsup:

Kimsdad said:
Hmm... Don't know why, but that's what I was raised calling them, too. Maybe because it's easier to say "buffalo" than "Indian Head". Fun to find but hard to clean and no precious metals - I still think they're stupid!

Great new avatar, Mayo! :thumbsup:

Nickel is slowly becoming a semi-precious metal. There is some discussion in coin world, that people will soon begin to hoard nickels like they did silver. That is because the current cost to manufacture a nickel (with some spot price variation) is closer to $.06. There is discussion that the mint will soon move to cheaper base metals or even plastic.

Really, both terms are misnomers. If you want to get technical, the animal on the reverse of the nickel is a bison, not a buffalo. And the individual on the front is a Native American, not really an "Indian".

But because I'm not very politically correct, I still like to call them buffalo head Squantos. Then I pop my open mouth rapidly with my fingers while going, "Ooooo!!" just to drive my point home.

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back