What's new

INDIAN RIVER COUNTY

tarpon192

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
369
Reaction score
62
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beaches on this stretch of the coastline are well know for the 1715 plate fleet wrecks. Their is not one square inch of sand that a metal detector has not passed over. Many cobs, and escudos have been found after hurricanes, and nor'easters. The sand gets sucked, swept, removed, or whatever one wants to call it. Then it is replaced within a few days, by - you guessed it, MOTHER NATURE HERSELF. The problem seems to be those who have enough money to build multi-million dollar homes, condo's, etc want the rest of us to pay to protect their property, or invesment.
When Sandy "PASSED" by last year their was a swimming pool (those who know the area know what I am talking about, just south of disney) that is in front of a condo - right on the beach. All the sand was removed from underneith the pool. Only leaving the pillings holding it up. The dunes were impacted- yes their was eroision, but the pool was still full of water and in place. Homeowners, and condo owners lost their stairs leading from their residence to the beach, but no homes, or condos themselves were impacted. Remember this was a tropical storm when it passed by. The storm - till this day is referred as "SUPER STORM SANDY" when it made landfall with its huge storm surge up north. I fill very sad for those who lost their lives, and everything the surviors of sandy lost. Sandy was nowhere near andrew, gordan, erin , floyd, francis, charlie, jean, or the other's (not including the thanksgiving nor'easeaster which really removed sand off our beaches, and exposed all kinds of goodie's).
My point is nature takes care of herself, but we seem to have people who think they can fix it better than her. If one can afford to build 20 to 30 feet away from the high tide line, then that one can also afford to insure, and protect their own investment. Not the taxpayers of the county.
Below is a quote from a local newspaper:
"In the 13 months since, Indian River County Coastal Engineer James Gray has been working to get the money and permits needed to replace the sand that had been placed on beaches from John’s Island to Treasure Shores Park during the last ill-fated replenishment project."

These beaches (IRC) are not like daytona, cocoa, and miami. They are not packed full of people everyday. John's island to treasure shore's is no comparsion, just big money. The real question is who is James Gray, and how DEEP is he involved with the local residents to keep dumping sand on these beaches to protect investments only to SEA the money return to the SEA.
Not to mention the impact on sea turtles, and their nest.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I need to go soak up some slams. With injuries I pick and choose now days. I should have ate more oranges. My grandma would just cut the top part off and me and my brother would just get all the juice out of them. Who needs a glass she would say. My mom wasnt happy about the mess we made.
 
I love it when I can smell the oranges from where I am it means the winds offshore.. I have a lot of great surfing memories that start with the smell of the oranges in the morning

Amen to that!
 
I love it when I can smell the oranges from where I am it means the winds offshore.. I have a lot of great surfing memories that start with the smell of the oranges in the morning

I never noticed the smell back then. We had to risk it and drive an hour up coast. Didn't have the cams. We had 976 surf line lol
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom