What's new

Indian tool? Ohio.

OldScout

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2014
Messages
43
Reaction score
22
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello. Normally I am searching for rocks or fossils, but came upon this in a creek bed and it looked out of place. All the other rocks are smooth and circular where I was looking. So, I threw it in my bag and figured I could look at it later. When I got home and looked at it there were several features that caught my attention. Although you can't see it in the photo, or even if you are looking at it, it seems like your hand molds to the rock-it is pretty neat. I can't quite figure out how it would go, as 2 positions seem to be very ergonomic. There is a flat end that, upon inspection, is smoother than the rest of the stone. There is also some kind of wedge, but, I don't know. I have never found anything Native American before. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sorry about the photos, the lens distorts the shape a little. Seems to be a wide angle lens.

Kind of exciting.

OS
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 154
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 131
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 131
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 124
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    66.8 KB · Views: 129
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    29 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 0
To me that looks like calcium patina on chert. Your only feeling and seeing the patina...
This is chert with thick patina.
Look at most of the points that Americus posts from south of you...your not even seeing the actual material on most of them...only the thick patina.

ForumRunner_20131006_104217.webp
 
Last edited:
Here is a coral one soaked in mineral oil to clarify the patina..

ForumRunner_20141026_224130.webp



ForumRunner_20141026_224159.webp
 
Last edited:
Tom's Crusty chert duval

ForumRunner_20130912_201139.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom