ID and info needed please

Southern Brass

Sep 6, 2013
Central , North Carolina
Detector(s) used
AT Pro , White's MXT , Bullseye II Pinpointer, MineLab Musketeer XS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
points 001.jpg bullet & arrowhead.jpg I was out metal detecting yeaterday near Smithfield , North Carolina and found these three "arrowheads" . Just curious as to what time period , material they are made of etc. Honestly I know very little about indian artifacts other than we folks around here call them "arrowheads" and they are fun to find when out treasure hunting. Thanks for any info and I have read other posts regarding indian artifacts on here .... Awesome site !!!

Upvote 0
SCRocks will know if he stops by. Nice finds! Some of us look all day just to be lucky enough to find 1 of those and here you found 3.

Good finds! You're not to far from me. Possibly a Stanley, Savannah River, and a knife/tool.

The first pic the gray one looks like rhyolite and my guess is a Guilford point...the other one in the pic not sure of the material but looks like a Savannah River. The second pic if the color is right and it's not gray might be flint and I'm not sure of the type but it's really pretty. Those are great finds!

The first pic the gray one looks like rhyolite and my guess is a Guilford point...the other one in the pic not sure of the material but looks like a Savannah River. The second pic if the color is right and it's not gray might be flint and I'm not sure of the type but it's really pretty. Those are great finds!

Good job Peaches the last one is probably a Kirk but its missing the base so Im just guessing

Nice finds there ! For the grey one on the left. it is hard to tell from this angle if the base is still all there, or if there is any missing? From what I can see I would just call it a large constricting stem point, and it does look to be rhyolite material. The mottled looking point next to it looks to be made from some unusual material, or has some unusual patina, or both. With the wide square stemmed base, and pointy shoulder, I would think it is most likely a Kirk stemmed variety, maybe not wide enough or having sides that are convex enough to be in the Savannah River type? I like the jasper point next to the 3 ringer the best. Even though the base is gone, which is common on that type, I think it is a Kirk Corner notched point, and probably of the Charleston variety with those incurvate sides. I would guess that the two points in the first photo probably date to around 4000-6000 BC, and the jasper point to around 6000-8000 BC.
I would go looking for arrowheads around that spot any chance I got. HH

Guliford, Appalachian and Kirk

Thank you guys for all the info. This is a fun hobby and Im still learning . I started looking arrowheads I guess around when I was 5 yrs old walking in plowed tobbacco fields with my granddaddy. I'm 42 now and take my daughter every chance I get. She picks up every frock she sees :icon_scratch: :dontknow: LOL

This is just a general statement not necessarily about the pieces in this thread but a lot of times you can't tell a lot from the blade section of a projectile point Because it changes over time from sharpening... Sometimes the cross section shape can tell you some things but more often than not its context in relation to other artifacts found in the area.. Style of chipping and the base section more than anything else and how its configured in relation to the upper portion (blade) is what's looked at for identification

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back