What's new

Inexpensive Metal detector

beachbumsteph

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 4, 2014
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking into buying my first one.Moving to the keys and intend on doing some shore and underwater detecting.Amazon has some for around $300.00 anyone know if they are a good buy?
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am looking into buying my first one.Moving to the keys and intend on doing some shore and underwater detecting.Amazon has some for around $300.00 anyone know if they are a good buy?

This section is for modifications, but anyway, I'm guessing you are looking into a pulse induction detector? Hard to say if its a good buy when you don't list the model or a link, but generally speaking, you get what you pay for.
 
It`s not going to happen for $300.00... those cheap underwater detectors POS are just that !
Gary
 
Get a PULSE INDUCTION unit.
Spend what you can afford.

Plan to replace a $300 PI unit sooner than later.
If you like detecting, you'll want to.
If you don't like detecting, you won't bother.

$300 bucks is a cheap start either way.
 
It`s not going to happen for $300.00... those cheap underwater detectors POS are just that !
Gary

What he said is true. Buy cheap and you will probably spend your moneys twice. The salt water environment is demanding on the machines. Do your research and stick with the name brand machines.
 
My first underwater machine was a Garrett ADS Deepseeker wrapped in plastic and floated on a box, it had a small coil with a 9 foot coax cable attached to a EMT pipe. I used it a couple of years like that until I bought my first true underwater metal detector, a Fisher Aquanaut. Later moved up to a Minelab Excalibur. You might watch Treasurenet Classifieds or eBay and pickup up a Older Brand name water detector like the Garrett AT3 or AT4, Fisher Aquanaut or White Amphibian for $300. I bought a Garrett AT3 for $150 some years ago and sold it to a Cousin for the same amount and its still working its magic in New York lakes.
 
You will not get a good submersible detector for $300.
 
Get a PULSE INDUCTION unit.
Spend what you can afford.

Plan to replace a $300 PI unit sooner than later.
If you like detecting, you'll want to.
If you don't like detecting, you won't bother.

$300 bucks is a cheap start either way.
And what is wrong with a PI detector ??
 
And what is wrong with a PI detector ??

Nothing, especially for the salt water.



Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk
 
Make one, I am. Surf PI for about $125 in mats. You will then (at least should) get a feel for what to purchase later.
 
I'm a newbie ;) but yeah you need to be a McGyver of sorts and good with tools. A good friend of mine is doing the electronics soldering. Hoping yo have it done soon, we took a break and have not touched it in awhile. Made a pvc sand scoop over the weekend tho. :)
 
I'm a newbie ;) but yeah you need to be a McGyver of sorts and good with tools. A good friend of mine is doing the electronics soldering. Hoping yo have it done soon, we took a break and have not touched it in awhile. Made a pvc sand scoop over the weekend tho. :)
I've been in the electronics field for three decades and I'd be reluctant to tackle that.
Still, good job. The coil is most impressive.


Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk
 
I got my used Sand Shark on Ebay for a little over $400... worth every penny !! They are made with a lifetime warranty although it's not transferable. Great battery life, fairly light in weight and the 8" coil passes through the water pretty easily. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom