Info about Whites Gold Master

Skip Ellis

Dec 29, 2010
Info about White's Gold Master

Recently unearthed an old White's Gold Master in a garage I was cleaning out. Model number is 66TR and serial number is 19562 with a date code of 'T3'. It has 2 coils - the larger one is marked '4B Multi Coil' and the smaller one is 'TRX-4 Gold Probe'. It's in overall pretty good shape but used. The batteries were corroded in the holders but the battery box itself and the interior components look to be OK. I'll use some vinegar to clean the corrosion from the holders and put in fresh batteries and see if the thing even works. The power connections to the battery holders will also need to be replaced but I think Radio Shack can handle that one for cheap. It has 14 AA batteries.

What have I got here and what is it best used for? My searching will probably be mostly relics, schoolyard coins and some beachcombing above the water line.

Thanks for the help!!

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Re: Info about White's Gold Master

Hello Skip,

I think with replacing the battery holders and a little battery clip cleaning you should get the 66TR running, Sounds like a minor issue nothing like the older GoldMaster BFO using different voltage setups as yours take regular AA batteries and Radio Shack does carry the AA battery holders.

Funny you mention it has the TRX-4 Gold Probe, Those are a rare find if you can try and use this coil for coin shooting...The 4B Multi-Coil I thought was for the later Whites? Was surprised to see yours having one and does it connect to the machine?

Anyway, Here are a few pics of your machine from an 1972 Whites Catalog. If the 4B Multi coil does indeed work with your 66TR it must be one of the latest 66TR models before being discontinued.

(Areas to search) Because the machine is an old model, About the best uses are for surface finds (Parks, school yards and such) it's really out dated but for veterans like us we still use them for personal reasons.

Beach combing above the water line I would pass because depth is terrible and having to constantly tune the old TR just isn't worth the hassle for this type of hunting, But hunting school yards, parks and such even relic hunting well that's different and a chance to step back in time and have fun using the old dinosaur machine.

I use both new models and vintage metal detectors, But something about using an old detector makes the hunt more enjoyable.

Have fun Skip,
Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• DSC00509.JPG
    DSC00509.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,375
  • DSC00508.JPG
    DSC00508.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,167
  • DSC00511.JPG
    DSC00511.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 984
OP
OP
Skip Ellis

Skip Ellis

Dec 29, 2010
Re: Info about White's Gold Master

Thanks for all the info, Paul. I found the battery holders online for $1.40 apiece and a pack of 20 alkaline Rayovacs for $4.99. I'll get the battery terminals at Radio Shack locally and see if I can get the old girl up and running.

RustyNickels

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting the photos and info on this vintage MD, I found a TR66 at the thrift store today for $20, came with the two original coils plus the TRX-4 nugget finder. Needs a bit of cleaning and the labels on the coils need curling corners fixed, but it works fine. Not all treasures are buried!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread