Info on Danish Shipwreck in Valparaiso, Chile (1884-1886)

JohanStenslie

Jul 7, 2023
I’m not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but I’m desperately trying to hunt down an answer, so here it is. I’m currently researching my 4th-great-granduncle Einar Martin Einarsen (1862-1920). He was a Norwegian sailor who ended up settling down in Concepción, Chile after his ship was destroyed. Fortunately, he wasn’t on the ship when it burned down, because he had just broken his nose in an accident. Because of this, he had been “left in a hospital in Talcahuano, awaiting the return of the ship.” I have five different sources that refer to this shipwreck, but none of them give an exact date or the name of the ship. With so many details, I imagined it would be easy to track down the name of the ship, but I haven’t had any luck yet.

Source A:
Ship: Danish Schooner (dansk skonnertbrigg)
Date: c. 1884

Source B:
Ship: Danish Sailing Vessel
Date: 1886

Source C:
Ship: No details
Date: Late 1884
Additional: “When his ship was returning, already out to sea, loaded with saltpeter, this cargo caught fire and the sailboat burned and sank with all its sailors.”

Source D:
Ship: Sailship
Date: No details
Additional: “he came here on a sailship to load salpetre in northern Chile, there was a fire on-board and Martin was stranded in Valparaiso”

Source E:
Ship: 4-masted ship (un barco de 4 palos)
Date: 1822 (This date is obviously wrong and must have been a typo)

P.S.
Although two sources claim that it was a Danish ship that went down, it’s certainly possible that it wasn’t. Those two sources were written by his brothers, who knew he had left Norway on a Danish ship en route to Brazil sometime between 1881-1883. They imply that the accident happened on the same ship he was hired on, but again I believe it’s possible the ship originated from another nationality.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread