What's new

✅ SOLVED Information about a button maker/backmark

creskol

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
23,354
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anybody know the history of button backmark W.B.C. London? I know they made livery buttons, but they also made U.S. Marine buttons, which I find rather curious.
 
I have looked through all my references and can't find anything on that backmark. We may need to call in the big guns on this one.
 
Upvote 0
I think that may be Waterbury Button Co.? (Did they have a factory in London?)
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I came up with "Wise, Bielby & Co", but not sure if that's the one. They manufactured buttons in the 1820's.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
I found this in Tice`s book Uniform Buttons of the United States 1776-1865.
Just one sentence... 5th.from bottom ... it is a Waterbury button post Civil War.
Picture 291.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found this in Tice`s book Uniform Buttons of the United States 1776-1865.
Just one sentence... 5th.from bottom ... it is a Waterbury button post Civil War.

Excellent! Thank you!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom