Inkwell

Aracely

Oct 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I would really appreciate if anyone here could help me identify the origin of this inkwell I received a a gift please.

PHOTO-2020-10-19-19-32-29.jpg

PHOTO-2020-10-19-19-32-45.jpg

Thanks!

Upvote 7

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Very nice. Your inkstand has two ‘V/crown/R’ marks (one of which is incompletely stamped), so it would be fairly safe to assume this is Victorian (ie 1837-1901) since that’s the Queen’s royal cypher, albeit in stylised form. It’s silver plate or a silver imitation, not silver.

VR.jpg

I believe it might be by Harrison Brothers & Howson of Sheffield, England. Their mark is usually listed as per this graphic, but there are numerous variations on the crown, just one of which is shown on the item below it:

HB&H.jpg

The partnership was formed in 1849 by William Howson plus the Harrison brothers James and Henry, originally at 45 Norfolk Street, Sheffield. They registered a silver mark that same year but the bulk of their output was ‘Britannia Metal’ silver plate. They soon gained a royal warrant… ie their goods were used by the Royal Household (hence their choice of the stylised Royal Cypher as a mark)… but don’t read too much into that. The company had agents in New York during the 1850s and 1880s and also in San Francisco from the 1890s. Henry Harrison ultimately moved to America. Their main business was cutlery and they were major exporters (particularly to the US and Australia) but they also made a wide variety of other goods in silver and silver plate including pocket knives, razors, tankards, candlesticks and smoking paraphernalia. I’ve seen a couple of ink blotters and one inkstand with bottle (not as elaborate as yours).

I’d be a bit more comfortable with that attribution if either: (a) closer examination reveals their name or initials elsewhere on the piece) or; (b) there is no flat area on the piece large enough to accommodate their full details.

Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice inkwell and...
Welcome to TNet! :hello:

OP
OP
A

Aracely

Oct 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much!!! I was completely lost on this. I will examine it further and post more pictures. This is so exciting!!!

Thanks again!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info Red -Coat and thats an awesome ink well

Top Member Reactions