What's new

Interesting Civil War Bullet

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
2,523
Reaction score
1,396
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got out to a winter camp (both Union and Confederate) that has been pounded for just a couple hours this morning. Besides a pocketful of shotgun shells, I did recover this Minie ball. I've seen it before, but am not sure of its proper ID - Sharp Carbine, Merrill? Help please. Thanks!

30916bullet2.webp30916bullet1.webp
 
Upvote 4
I believe you have a Williams cleaner bullet missing the post with the zinc ring.
 
I believe you have a Williams cleaner bullet missing the post with the zinc ring.

Thanks Steve. I hadn't considered that possibility. Could be, though it looks a bit short to me. BTW, the hole is very deep.
 
Actually, there were some "shorter" versions. I think you're right. Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Yep, that's it.
 
Steve is correct. That's the top of a Type III minus the inset (we call it) that we find in the eastern theater. You are more likely to dig the earlier Type I & II there in the valley Richard. CW soldiers were not fond of them. WTG, Q.
 
Steve is correct. That's the top of a Type III minus the inset (we call it) that we find in the eastern theater. You are more likely to dig the earlier Type I & II there in the valley Richard. CW soldiers were not fond of them. WTG, Q.

Thanks Quindy!
 
These guys are spot on as far as I am concerned. CannonBallGuy would also know.
 
Nice old CW lead. How can you go wrong in a hunt giving you that?:icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom